Riving knives
I have a 25 yr old Delta nisaw and want to install a riviing knife if possible.  Does anyone out there know if this is even possible?  CS at Delta not much help.  Do the knives just attach to the blade arbor?  Thanks.
A true riving knife will raise and lower with the blade so that the knife is just below the top of the blade at all times so you can do a through cut without removing the knife.  Most saws need to be built with that in mind.  There are splitters that can work on older saws but they require you to manually manipulate the knife for each cut.  

I have seen older Unisaws retrofitted with a riving knife but it required a lot of machining on the part of the owner and as far as I know they are not being sold.

A quick search over at OWWM.org should produce it.
I installed a kerf splitter on my Delta saw (contractor saw-- about 20 years old).  It works, but not always great.  It works fine on 3/4" stock; not so great on thicker stuff. 

No problems with sheet goods regardless of the splitter.  

[Image: mic-sp-2_3.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
What Stav said. There was a work around one offered by a fellow for a while (called the Bolt On Riving Knife, BORK) but he passed away a few years back and that hasn't been offered since. A splitter works just fine, though it's not quite as handy, but if you want a true riving knife you'll need a different saw.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Check these threads from OWWM

http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1924...1#p1342671
http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=...0#p1234791

All custom built but still very awesome.
My first TS was a Delta contractor's saw. No riving knife. I used splitters like shown above. While not perfect for thicker stock, they were far better and added a very important safety factor that wasn't there compared to the stock TS.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I use the MJ splitter Cooler mentioned. They are added to the existing plate. The kit comes with a drilling template, I found it very easy to drill and install. They come in widths 1/8" and 3/32" to match the saw blade. I like mine and would buy them again. never used a saw mounted that raises with the blade so I can not compare.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
Y’all know I work with MicroJig, and I use the MJ Splitters on my Unisaw. I would LOVE a proper riving knife, but have not found one I trust, so MJSplitters it is.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Check out the Delta ARK adjustable riving knife at,

https://www.thesharkguard.com/product/de...k-package/
I have the Shark Guard on my 1995 Unisaw. It was an easy installation and I really like the guard...as much as one can like a guard. The riving knife bolted directly to existing holes in my Uni and IIRC, it came with a couple different bolts depending on your Uni model. It DOES NOT raise, lower, or tilt with the blade. It is easy to move it up and down but you still have to do it (remove plate, loosen quick release, adjust to desired height and tighten). The guard can easily be removed from the knife for whatever you need it gone for.
-brew