What's the story on Metabo?
(07-07-2020, 08:29 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: This is simply not true and is misinformed.   

Hitachi pneumatic nailers are some of the best in the industry.  Their mitersaws enjoy a good reputation among pros too.   Now, the cordless stuff is clearly lagging behind the big boys.

What most people don't realize is that Hitachi bought Metabo, but they aren't calling the shots.  KKR - the wall streeters that brought us RJRNabisco are.   This will explain much of what's seen on the front line of the tools shelves.

So I'm misinformed that they're putting the Metabo name on low-end products from China. Whew! What a relief! 

But I really don't care either way, the tools either company produces are things I buy at Harbor Freight. At least then I know it's cheap and didn't have any delusions about it being something it isn't. Although some of the new HF stuff is getting surprisingly good, at least according to teardown vids I've watched.
I have the Metabo German made flat head grinders. Amazingly nice. You.will know when you have the German one vs the HPT Hitachi rebrand when you go though check out lol.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have Hitachi/Metabo M12VC in my CNC router... the motors have proven to be long lasting and dependable over years and years of heavy CNC use. The plunge and fixed bases for those motors aren't quite as nice as some other brands but for my application it makes no difference. Even that being stated the bases are nice enough for most hobby woodworkers. I personally use Dewalt DW616/DW618 in my shop and router lift. That is because I prefer the bases (D-handle, plunge and fixed) over the other brands like Bosch, Makita, etc. Again, IMO the Hitachi/Metabo bases are just a smidge behind the major brands.

The only other corded Hitachi/Metabo power tools I have owned are the miter saws. I've gone through a few iterations over the years but currently own the 10", dual bevel, slider CMS model #C10FSHCTM. I like it and don't find that I need anything more than what it is for it's limited use. I only use my CMS for rough cuts, framing and things like landscaping timbers.

Other than that, I think the only Hitachi/Metabo I have in my shop are some pneumatic nail/brad guns and those have proven to be very reliable.

I would take all of those 3 tools over anything at HF and it is not really even close in my eyes... I say that as a HF fan. I know HF has upped their game but I'm still not impressed with most of their power tools. With that being said I have quite a few of their hand tools/mechanics tools. $0.02
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
(07-09-2020, 07:57 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: "Anybody try a Metabo paint remover?  It looks like a nice, solid tool, but I have only seen videos."

Yep, did an entire garage. Was very happy with the results. Still took time and effort but the paint job looked great.

I have one, I was skeptical when I saw one on craigslist, but threw cataution to the wind, Its a great tool for striping paint, takes of 1/64 inch, after just sand, or pass through planer.  I was pleased as punch, saved days of time striping paint to just a few hours.
Does DW and Milwaukee have "consumer" lines?

I've got a couple friends in electric and AC business they say there is a difference.
(07-15-2020, 10:33 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Does DW and Milwaukee have "consumer" lines?

I've got a couple friends in electric and AC business they say there is a difference.
DeWalt is owned by Black & Decker.  I would assume that the consumer line for DeWalt is Black & Decker, at least for small hand held machines.  DeWalt's table saws are all over the place.  Some are serious machines for furniture manufacturers and some are for contractors, and some are for hobbyists.  The brand name does not mean much anymore.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(07-15-2020, 11:03 AM)Cooler Wrote: DeWalt is owned by Black & Decker.  I would assume that the consumer line for DeWalt is Black & Decker, at least for small hand held machines.  DeWalt's table saws are all over the place.  Some are serious machines for furniture manufacturers and some are for contractors, and some are for hobbyists.  The brand name does not mean much anymore.

I kinda thought Porter Cable was going to become Black & Decker's consumer line. P-C still sells 690 and 89X routers. Their cordless drills seem to get decent reviews so I don't really know where S B&D (Stanley Black & Decker) is positioning Porter Cable stuff these days.
(07-12-2020, 09:50 AM)Robin Dobbie Wrote: So I'm misinformed that they're putting the Metabo name on low-end products from China. Whew! What a relief! 

But I really don't care either way, the tools either company produces are things I buy at Harbor Freight. At least then I know it's cheap and didn't have any delusions about it being something it isn't. Although some of the new HF stuff is getting surprisingly good, at least according to teardown vids I've watched.

MEtabo HPT is the Metabo name on Hitachi Power tools. Not sure what you meant in the note above. There are Metabo tools also still being made in Germany by the original Metabo factory. Those do not have the HPT in the name. Also their packaging is different and their label and mfg orign is labeled different. 

SO it is definitely a case of the Metabo name on cheap china tools now - tools from Hitachi. And yes the Hitachi SCMS now have a Metabo name as well (I am a fan of them - my my C12LSH). Its the same company making different levels of tools in different countries.

While a Hitachi HPT grinder might be fine for you - there is a definite difference in sound and vibration and quality as well as guard and disc attachment mechanism vs the Metabo grinders. Again you know there is a difference -- the German stuff adds at least $80-$120 typically. Also the specialty Metabo stuff is not made by china Hitachi yet. Pipe sander, paint stripper, flat head grinders, burnisher, etc.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(07-07-2020, 11:08 PM)EdL Wrote: I just hope they don't screw with the Metabo line of angle grinders....there is no equal.

Ed

Ha!!!  You think they aren't about to try to squeeze $30 more profit out of a 6" grinder?  They will have every pipe fitter and structural steel worker in the US mad and moving to Dewalt/Makita/Milwaukee by Spring 2021.

For those that are wondering, no fitter/welder/iron worker wants to make a cut with a cut-off wheel with anything except a 6" Metabo grinder.  It's all they've ever known.  They don't use those machines for wire wheel, wire brush, grinding, etc., just cutting.  A typical tradesman will go through 2 a year.  Typical life in an industrial/heavy construction job site is 6-8 months.  This is a lifetime tool for light commercial/residential/hobby use.