Where's the wood?
(07-12-2020, 12:31 AM)JosephP Wrote: On the other hand...hardwood markets 
No  Sawmills shutting down because of lack of demand.

Thats a true story.

I just secured 1600' of FAS Cherry and 900' of FAS Red Oak and after seeing what was in their system wide inventory, I'm glad I said id take what I did. 
Blush

Its going to be an interesting 12 months ahead. 
Yes

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(07-19-2020, 07:58 PM)Allen Wrote: Went to two Menards and one Lowes yesterday, not a single pressured treated 4x4 at any of them. 

Al

Got them here. Please come and take them and hopefully they will never stock them again. I don't know what anyone uses them for. They are too small for deck posts not to mention they are all better suited to boat building material. Most are warped enough that they could be the keel of a boat. 

I'm surprised the hardwood sales are down. Course they have needed a price correction here as the prices have been way too high here.  But if you restore cars... It's hard to get parts right now not because of supply but because they are selling the crap out of parts. Business is better than it's been in years. The sheet metal comes from Taiwan and they have not had any impact on manufacturing and shipping parts. Same for most of the parts made in China.

Course I could really use some dust masks and a new face shield but I don't see them being available any time soon at least not at a non black market price.
(07-19-2020, 09:42 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: ...

I'm surprised the hardwood sales are down. Course they have needed a price correction here as the prices have been way too high here.  ....

What has been too high?  White oak and walnut are the only things that have had much demand here for about a year.  Red oak had been really low - we used to export about 40% of our Red oak to China and the tiff over tariffs really slowed that.  Just when those lifted and I thought RO would jump, COVID hit and drove the prices lower.  They are being sold for blocking now.  One of the bigger mills in the market up here said he is putting all of his Red Oak, regardless of grade into mats and sending to Texas.  But with oil prices also in the can, I gotta imagine even that market is rough.
(07-19-2020, 07:58 PM)Allen Wrote: Went to two Menards and one Lowes yesterday, not a single pressured treated 4x4 at any of them. 

Al

when I was building a raised garden a couple of weeks ago, 4x4 was the one thing HD had plenty of.  Not sure about now.

Al

I did get 4x4s but only after sistering three 2x4s for posts. But I did get a few for rail posts. Fresh hack, still very wet.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(07-19-2020, 09:42 PM)Robert Adams Wrote:            Got them here. Please come and take them and hopefully they will never stock them again. I don't know what anyone uses them for.

Rail posts.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(07-19-2020, 11:50 PM)JosephP Wrote: What has been too high?  White oak and walnut are the only things that have had much demand here for about a year.  Red oak had been really low - we used to export about 40% of our Red oak to China and the tiff over tariffs really slowed that.  Just when those lifted and I thought RO would jump, COVID hit and drove the prices lower.  They are being sold for blocking now.  One of the bigger mills in the market up here said he is putting all of his Red Oak, regardless of grade into mats and sending to Texas.  But with oil prices also in the can, I gotta imagine even that market is rough.

Last time I checked a couple suppliers they were wanting $4+ for FAS red oak and often what is sold as FAS isn't any better than #1 common. The oil drilling marked died off well before Covid hit. It's been very cyclical since the 80s and there is no way to count on stability in oil drilling here.

I have been doing car stuff lately so if I were to find a really good deal on lumber I don't have anywhere to store it right now. Gotta get the car finished for the better half then I can build one for me... Working on the quarters now. Everything firewall forward is new(that means everything) Next is to build a rotisserie so I can blast and paint the bottom.[Image: 20200710-155929-HDR.jpg]
Our home depot was mostly restocked today.  Didn't check at lowe's
If FAS is #1 Common, that is a grading problem, not a price problem. There are trademarked definitions for those...
(07-24-2020, 08:13 PM)JosephP Wrote: If FAS is #1 Common, that is a grading problem, not a price problem.  There are trademarked definitions for those...

That's true however allot of wood resellers tend to be a little shady here. They just buy loads of lumber and sell it as what they want to. Until they start stamping lumber at the mills with the grades there is no telling what you will get.  Besides the poor quality the price was still double what it should be. 

I have ended up with so much junk lumber that its not even funny. Poor drying leading to  extreme movement and honeycomb etc. I bought some lumber from a sawmill down near houston and it was so full of bugs I had to bag it all and fumigate it.