Card Table Build
(08-26-2020, 07:58 PM)handi Wrote: It was tradition to store the table against the wall but with the top raised vertical.
I have one I built. If I keep it closed, the fold over top, only being held by the hinges, tends to curl and relax a bit with the seasons. In Tennessee during Summer there is about a 1/4” gap between tops at the front, in winter no gap at all.

I did notice some movement with the tops the next day after bringing it in from the shop. I opened it up for a few days to see what will happen. Did not move a lot, but enough that I noticed it. Those hinges were tricky to inlet. Nothing but end grain, so very sharp chisels were important.
(08-27-2020, 08:51 PM)Scoony Wrote: I did notice some movement with the tops the next day after bringing it in from the shop. I opened it up for a few days to see what will happen. Did not move a lot, but enough that I noticed it. Those hinges were tricky to inlet. Nothing but end grain, so very sharp chisels were important.

The knife hinges are tricky, not only end grain, but not a lot of “meat” on either side. Very easy to break the wood you meant to leave.

You simply will not prevent some curling of the loose top half. It has zero support and when the table is folded and the tops together, the unsupported side has free airflow on one face, and zero on the other. 

But again, mine only moved about 1/4” at the front edge between humid summer and dry winter in Tennessee.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
The table turned out beautifully!
Very fine woodworking!!!
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Nicely done!
Yes
Yes
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."