Card Table Build
(07-19-2020, 01:16 PM)Scoony Wrote: Today was an easy day. Fit the bridle joints. Sawed kerfs made removing most of the waste a bit easier. What is tricky here is the changing grain and the splines. 

The 3/8" mortise chisel was a big help in removing waste quickly. Saved the edges of the wide bench chisels for paring down to the final depth.

Sneaking up on the fit. The sliding dovetail was what required the final fitting.

I managed to get both front legs fitted and the fit is good. 

Now I need to figure out what I want to do with the bottom edge. I want to some sort of banding with walnut and maple. Going to do some research and figure that out. This upcoming week with be focused on the knuckle joints.

Looking really good - no grass growing under your feet! 
Big Grin  Can you show and tell more about the sliding dovetail on the bridle joints?  I don't remember seeing that detail before.  Thanks.
Lonnie
(07-19-2020, 09:13 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: Looking really good - no grass growing under your feet! 
Big Grin  Can you show and tell more about the sliding dovetail on the bridle joints?  I don't remember seeing that detail before.  Thanks.
Lonnie

The sliding dovetail (for lack of better term) helps to hide any chip-out of the veneer at the joint. Also you can have a little slop and it will be hidden. 

Working on the hinge joints now. I try to work smarter, not harder. I drilled a series of small holes to help with waste removal. I am using a 1/4" bench chisel and a 1/4" and 5/8" in-channel gouges. 

To remove the waste in between the knuckles, I again drilled some holes.

What is tricky here is you have to be careful prying out the waste. You cannot pry against the wall as it comes to a sharp point and will break away easily.
Made up some inlay banding.  1/4" thick mahogany, 1/16" maple, 1/16" Imbuia (Brazilian walnut) glued up. Sliced across at 45 deg on the bandsaw using a jig. I do need a better blade. I ruined my woodslicer and need another, and was using a smaller blade here. 

I did add a 1/16" strip of imbuia on the bottom edge which will make a nice bottom edge of the apron. (not in the pic).

Making good progress on the card table. Finished the edge banding on Friday, and got it cleaned up and leveled today. Also finished the hinge joint, cut the tenons on the swinging legs and fit the legs. I still need to inlay the banding on the rear legs, then I can finish up the base and get ready for the tops. 

Love seeing the inlay come off the card scraper like this

The rear legs attached 

Nice.............
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Your card table build is looking great..............but

holy cow!!!  I need to learn how you sharpen your card scraper.  I've never seen results like that!!!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(07-26-2020, 06:46 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: Your card table build is looking great..............but

holy cow!!!  I need to learn how you sharpen your card scraper.  I've never seen results like that!!!

This is the method I use. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhVWhouezkI

Pretty simple, but what I think is key is to use a good file, and not the one that has been banging around in the drawer and needed replaced a few years ago. Some feel that honing the edge on a stone is necessary, but a good sharp file will leave a nice smooth surface. I use a drop of WD-40 with teh diamond paddle.
(07-26-2020, 11:41 AM)Scoony Wrote: This is the method I use. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhVWhouezkI

Pretty simple, but what I think is key is to use a good file, and not the one that has been banging around in the drawer and needed replaced a few years ago. Some feel that honing the edge on a stone is necessary, but a good sharp file will leave a nice smooth surface. I use a drop of WD-40 with teh diamond paddle.
Setting a good hook on a scraper is always a challenge! Even after 3 decades, I still can’t get a perfect result every time. About 1 out of three I have to go back and re-work it.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I finished the card table base and have put one coat of finish on it to seal the surface while I work on the top.  The center seam of the veneer is not as clean as I would like, but I can live with it. 

The screw holding the hinge joint are temporary until I can find proper uncoated slotted screws.

I put pocket holes in the rear for attaching the top. I still need to cut slots inside of the front apron to attach the top with wooden buttons. 

I think I am ready to get some mahogany and build one with more inlays.