National critique
(07-13-2020, 03:42 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: I honestly do not understand this comment: They thought the color may be more suited on a more contemporary shape.

I think it looks great on the form you used. What do they consider a "more contemporary shape" to be?

Attached Files Image(s)

If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

(07-13-2020, 08:06 AM)Wildwood Wrote: Wait a minute I like brown and round too!  Can see why this one grabbing folks attention! Thank for sharing.

Think about it, 25 years and 1500 round and brown hollow forms, it got boring

Dry Creek Woodturning

Art critics can be pretty harsh, because they are often expressing personal preferences. As many opinions as exist out there, you can probably find as many critics that will praise your work as will criticize it. As long as you like it and you have clients that purchase it, that's all that matters.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Now Anthony Yak, did not mean to offend just would like the piece whether brown & round or with color! Yes, was puzzled by review, think they should comment on only what they are looking at and not what it could or should be!
Bill
Seems to me that their comment flies in the face of their logic. Their complaint was that brown and round should be brown and round..... Colorful should be contemporary or new age. Bull Stuff! !! Marrying the whimzy of color to a classical form is primarily what makes the piece eye catching. It isn't jarring to the eye but the color working with the natural flow of grain captures the viewer's interest and is a wonderful juxtaposition. The problem with critiquing design is there is no objective method to do so. Most factors of design, though they sound objective, are subjectively measured. Hence art is in the eyes of the beholder.

Personally , I like your stuff. It is similar to blown glass (which often has classical form) but of a different material.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Thanks all. Without a doubt, this critique was 100% positive. I submitted the piece and knew what I was getting into. 100 pieces submitted, 24 picked for the panel critique. If I am to grow, this is what I needed to do. This is my job now, at 65, craft shows are going to be few and far between so galleries are looking good to me right now. If a curator tells me they want X Y and Z, I'm moving in that direction and will give them my version.

Dry Creek Woodturning

(07-14-2020, 07:21 AM)Wildwood Wrote: Now Anthony Yak, did not mean to offend just would like the piece whether brown & round or with color!  Yes, was puzzled by review, think they should comment on only what they are looking at and not what it could or should be!

No offense taken

Dry Creek Woodturning

Instant gallery

https://vimeo.com/437006185

Dry Creek Woodturning