Need help on that material to use
I have a three panel wood framed screen about 100 yrs old:

The wood and hardware are in good shape. The problem is the cardboard panels are shot. I tried to wood putty and sand over the rough spots but as you can see they are in pretty bad shape. I have decided to replace them, but with what? Each panel is 66" x 18" and a little more than 1/4" thick. The grooves in the frame are 5/16". I have already purchased the wallpaper I was going to recover them with so it needs to be a material that will except wallpaper. My first thought was 1/4" Baltic Birch but I think the 66" dimension rules that out.  I can always buy crappy 4 x 8 1/4" ply at the big box stores but was wondering if there wasn't something better than that? Any ideas, guys?
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
I know I'm going to get beat up for even suggesting this, but how about 1/4" MDF or melamine. It will stay about as flat as anything else.
It's not always the quiet ones who don't have much to say.
Funny; I was going to suggest similar if it’s used in a dry location and has no structural purpose.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(07-12-2020, 04:30 PM)Papa Jim Wrote: I have a three panel wood framed screen about 100 yrs old:

The wood and hardware are in good shape. The problem is the cardboard panels are shot. I tried to wood putty and sand over the rough spots but as you can see they are in pretty bad shape. I have decided to replace them, but with what? Each panel is 66" x 18" and a little more than 1/4" thick. The grooves in the frame are 5/16". I have already purchased the wallpaper I was going to recover them with so it needs to be a material that will except wallpaper. My first thought was 1/4" Baltic Birch but I think the 66" dimension rules that out.  I can always buy crappy 4 x 8 1/4" ply at the big box stores but was wondering if there wasn't something better than that? Any ideas, guys?

Baltic birch is available in 4 x 8 sheets

[Image: 50105449563_529bca0399_c.jpg]
I was going to suggest lighting panels for florescent lights. However these cost about $108 each for 54x108. I would go with th 1/4 ply, and skim coat it with drywall mud. You can buy 2 panels for half the cost and still have plenty of 1/4 panel left over for other projects.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
The original panels might be Upson Board. Here is a current source:http://www.niagarafiberboard.com/upsonite.htm
Rick W
(07-12-2020, 05:23 PM)Ohio Mike Wrote: Baltic birch is available in 4 x 8 sheets

[Image: 50105449563_529bca0399_c.jpg]
Unfortunately I'm in Florida and I have yet to see any BB in Lowes or Home Depot. Rockler carries it but only in smaller sizes.
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
(07-12-2020, 07:28 PM)Papa Jim Wrote: Unfortunately I'm in Florida and I have yet to see any BB in Lowes or Home Depot. Rockler carries it but only in smaller sizes.

Jim, a standard 1/4” plywood sheet should be fine. It gets trapped inside the wood frames so any decent ply panel should remain flat. 1/4” hardboard may work too.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(07-12-2020, 08:21 PM)handi Wrote: Jim, a standard 1/4” plywood sheet should be fine. It gets trapped inside the wood frames so any decent ply panel should remain flat. 1/4” hardboard may work too.

Keep in mind most so-called 1/4" sheet goods will be under 1/4" thick (especially baltic birch)  You indicated the slot was over 1/4" thick so it will a loose fit if it matters to you.  You could always shim it with small pieces of poster board (thick paper) or something similar.
How about 1/4" Masonite (hardboard)? It's tougher than MDF and not nearly as heavy.