$1,000.00 to install a pocket door
I was watching a HGTV show (Property Bros.) that is Covid-19 fall back.  That is they are adding content to an already broadcast show and calling it "new".

They have added mostly just boxed captions, often giving the cost for that particular option.

In one scene they were showing the installation of a pocket door they listed "$1,000.00.

Even if you spent $300.00 on the door, and $175.00 on the hardware, that would leave $525.00 left for labor and materials.  Figure $125.00 for material.  Four hours of labor to install the door?  Does that sound reasonable?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
The problem is that you were watching any kind of TV and expecting reality to be represented.

But HGTV in particular is scummy. They keep trying to get me to open their junkmail by making it appear I already have some kind of account with them.
(07-13-2020, 07:24 AM)Cooler Wrote: I was watching a HGTV show (Property Bros.) that is Covid-19 fall back.  That is they are adding content to an already broadcast show and calling it "new".

They have added mostly just boxed captions, often giving the cost for that particular option.

In one scene they were showing the installation of a pocket door they listed "$1,000.00.

Even if you spent $300.00 on the door, and $175.00 on the hardware, that would leave $525.00 left for labor and materials.  Figure $125.00 for material.  Four hours of labor to install the door?  Does that sound reasonable?

If you include tearing down the section of wall, re framing to allow the pocket door to be inside the wall, putting drywall up, mudding and painting.  Yes     Roly
(07-13-2020, 07:24 AM)Cooler Wrote: I was watching a HGTV show (Property Bros.) that is Covid-19 fall back.  That is they are adding content to an already broadcast show and calling it "new".

$1000 is about right. Lots of time doing drywall, framing and trim. If I were asked to put one in, I'm thinking about $1000. Lots of little steps, demo, framing, drywall, dry time, trim and painting. Even a replacement pre-hung door is about $300 to install, plus materials with no painting, framing, drywall or trim.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I'll have to agree with the 1K price but IMO that is on the low end. If you want a pocket door installed and done right... Good pocket door hardware starts at around $200 and assembled is a good bit more. Then you figure the other costs like mentioned and yeah 1K is easy to get to and surpass. 

Lets not forget the large chunk you add in for call backs. Even the best pocket door is crap and you will be called many times for issues with the door no matter how good of hardware and how good your install was so those nuisance house calls will be numerous and costly. I like pocket doors but they are the bane of door installers and builders. 

Personally if I were doing a pocket door for someone I would use the best stuff I can get and then the install price would easily be closer to 2K and that doesn't include the cost of the door. 

If you are going with the Borg special pocket door then yeah more like $500 but you will need to add in even more for callbacks because it will have even more issues.
(07-13-2020, 07:38 AM)Roly Wrote: If you include tearing down the section of wall, re framing to allow the pocket door to be inside the wall, putting drywall up, mudding and painting.  Yes     Roly

trimwork,too. could be tile work involved. maybe even electrical if the wall that has to be ripped out for a pocketdoor has electrical in it. maybe even plumbing.
 a grand would be having to do what you mentioned.
our house in Utah had a pocket door into the master bath.  They did something wrong and the top of the door was scratched.  Now that I think of it, probably a drywall screw or something like that. Never seemed worth disassembling to figure out what was wrong. That was before youtube was around to figure out how things like that work.  

That was a really nice house, but there were a lot of things wrong with it.  Guy built it for himself to live in, so I have always thought he probably squeezed the subs.
I would’ve thought $1000 was low to me. Don’t think you’d get it done for that here.
-Marc

(07-13-2020, 12:25 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: Even the best pocket door is crap and you will be called many times for issues with the door no matter how good of hardware and how good your install was so those nuisance house calls will be numerous and costly. I like pocket doors but they are the bane of door installers and builders. 

Robert,
Does this poor performance over time extend to hardware like Hafele or Sugatsune?  (these are two we'd seen mentioned in a Risinger podcast when looking at some possibilities.  I expect the podcast tends to be a lot of product placement, but that doesn't mean it isn't an improvement over the 1960's hardware we have in the home now)

Matt
(07-29-2020, 10:42 AM)mdhills Wrote: Robert,
Does this poor performance over time extend to hardware like Hafele or Sugatsune?  (these are two we'd seen mentioned in a Risinger podcast when looking at some possibilities.  I expect the podcast tends to be a lot of product placement, but that doesn't mean it isn't an improvement over the 1960's hardware we have in the home now)

Matt

Pricey though.  The light duty Hafele I see advertised for $760.00.  I don't know what that includes. 

I bought the Johnson 48" kit for $40.00.  The $720.00 difference is a big pill to swallow.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BMT...UTF8&psc=1
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.