Veneer Hammer
(07-14-2020, 05:12 PM)Scoony Wrote: about 1 part glue to 2 parts water (I think). Seems very thin, but it is a size coat and seemed to work out well. Took about 35-40 min to dry. 

I got two panels glued on. I always wondered about putting the glue on top of the veneer, but it actually works pretty cool. I was able to scrap off the excess glue from the first panel and it leaves a very smooth surface. I have a crap load of very nice veneers in my basement that I got for free. Now I feel that I can start using that stash.

One of the first times I used hide glue I put glue on both sides of the veneer.  It really lubricates the veneer and it sticks down good.  But boy did it make a mess!  I like doing veneer work.  A good book is "The Craft of Veneering" by Craig Thibodeau.  His website is CTFineFurniture.com.  Check him out on instagram as he has done some great veneer work and is presently working on a very complicated puzzle cabinet.  His instagram is ctfinefurniture.  The great thing about veneer is how you can take an ordinary piece of furniture and make it look stunning.  Keep us posted - I love seeing how other people work.

Lonnie
(07-14-2020, 12:55 PM)Scoony Wrote: Cooked up a batch of hide glue today. While I was at it, I took a cut of the glue, and added urea to make liquid hide glue. That little bit left in the glue container was from last year.

This is new to me. You can turn hot hide glue into a cold liquid that still works the same? By adding urea?
(07-15-2020, 06:24 PM)mound Wrote: This is new to me. You can turn hot hide glue into a cold liquid that still works the same? By adding urea?

That's what Old Brown Glue is.  Sold by Patrick Edwards.
(07-15-2020, 06:24 PM)mound Wrote: This is new to me. You can turn hot hide glue into a cold liquid that still works the same? By adding urea?

Yup, salt also works, but I have never tried that. I think Patrick Edward uses something else instead of urea. Not sure what tightbond uses for their liquid hide glue.

With the urea, the glue is still pretty thick so I still have to warm it up a bit to use, but it has a longer open time verses hot hide glue. 

I have been using the hide glue brushes that Tools for Working Wood sells. Those brushes work really well with the glue, and if you get a few extras, they make great brushes to dust off hand planes after use.