Veneer Hammer
I will be doing some hot hide glue veneering on the current project and need to make a veneering hammer. I have two pieces of brass that I can use. One is 3/16" thick which would work fine, I think. I also have a small sheet of 1/8" brass that I can cut off a piece to use. 

Who here has used a veneer hammer and can provide insight on the brass piece I need for the edge? Will the 1/8" be enough? Need to make this hammer this week to maintain progress on the project. 

Thanks
(07-13-2020, 02:51 PM)Scoony Wrote: I will be doing some hot hide glue veneering on the current project and need to make a veneering hammer. I have two pieces of brass that I can use. One is 3/16" thick which would work fine, I think. I also have a small sheet of 1/8" brass that I can cut off a piece to use. 

Who here has used a veneer hammer and can provide insight on the brass piece I need for the edge? Will the 1/8" be enough? Need to make this hammer this week to maintain progress on the project. 

Thanks

1/8" is a little too small, 3/16" is better (mine is 1/4").

With a bar too narrow, you run a higher risk of breaking/splitting the veneer as you need to apply pressure.

Simon
(07-13-2020, 04:20 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: 1/8" is a little too small, 3/16" is better (mine is 1/4").

With a bar too narrow, you run a higher risk of breaking/splitting the veneer as you need to apply pressure.

Simon

Thanks, I went the 3/16" piece. I am letting the epoxy set up overnight. Tomorrow, I will clean up the brass edge and round it over. I turned a handle out of some scrap oak and it looks good. The head is a piece of Imbuia that I had collecting dust. 

Now, there will be a veneer seem at the center of the table apron. I am wondering if I should clean up those edges and edge glue and reinforce with veneer tape before glueing to the apron????

If all goes well, I should be able to apply the veneer tomorrow.
Here's a veneer hammer I made a few years ago.  I used 1/4" brass - rounded the edge over with my belt sander - and finished using crocus cloth.  Someday, I'm going to oil it up.

I also made some using plastic:

I like the feel of the brass hammer better.

Lonnie
(07-13-2020, 07:14 PM)Scoony Wrote: Thanks, I went the 3/16" piece. I am letting the epoxy set up overnight. Tomorrow, I will clean up the brass edge and round it over. I turned a handle out of some scrap oak and it looks good. The head is a piece of Imbuia that I had collecting dust. 

Now, there will be a veneer seem at the center of the table apron. I am wondering if I should clean up those edges and edge glue and reinforce with veneer tape before glueing to the apron????

If all goes well, I should be able to apply the veneer tomorrow.

I've had good luck letting the two pieces of veneer over lap slightly (one on top of the other) and then cutting thru both of them at the same time.  Gives a nice fitting seam.

Lonnie
(07-13-2020, 02:51 PM)Scoony Wrote: I will be doing some hot hide glue veneering on the current project and need to make a veneering hammer. I have two pieces of brass that I can use. One is 3/16" thick which would work fine, I think. I also have a small sheet of 1/8" brass that I can cut off a piece to use. 

Thanks

Mine is 1/4" thick and is nicely rounded over
(07-13-2020, 09:17 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: I've had good luck letting the two pieces of veneer over lap slightly (one on top of the other) and then cutting thru both of them at the same time.  Gives a nice fitting seam.

Lonnie

Thanks, I am contemplating a simple inlay to camo that seem, but that may make it look odd. Or I could use a piece of crotch figured cherry for the center block and do a edge banding on both sides of that block where it meets the other veneer. 

I am also thinking about a simple edge banding along the lower edge, but unsure what would look good with cherry.
Cooked up a batch of hide glue today. While I was at it, I took a cut of the glue, and added urea to make liquid hide glue. That little bit left in the glue container was from last year.

Also finished up a veneer hammer. It is dusty from final clean up and I have yet to apply a finish to it. At this point I am ready to veneer.  The smaller jar with the lighter colored glue is thinned down glue to act as a size on the core surface. It will go on and allowed to dry before applying the veneer. 

I will be giving this a go tonight.
(07-14-2020, 12:55 PM)Scoony Wrote: Cooked up a batch of hide glue today. While I was at it, I took a cut of the glue, and added urea to make liquid hide glue. That little bit left in the glue container was from last year.

Also finished up a veneer hammer. It is dusty from final clean up and I have yet to apply a finish to it. At this point I am ready to veneer.  The smaller jar with the lighter colored glue is thinned down glue to act as a size on the core surface. It will go on and allowed to dry before applying the veneer. 

I will be giving this a go tonight.

How much do you thin the size coat?  The hammer looks good.
(07-14-2020, 01:15 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: How much do you thin the size coat?  The hammer looks good.

about 1 part glue to 2 parts water (I think). Seems very thin, but it is a size coat and seemed to work out well. Took about 35-40 min to dry. 

I got two panels glued on. I always wondered about putting the glue on top of the veneer, but it actually works pretty cool. I was able to scrap off the excess glue from the first panel and it leaves a very smooth surface. I have a crap load of very nice veneers in my basement that I got for free. Now I feel that I can start using that stash.