Scrub Plane iron's edge
I reviewed the Veritas scrub plane back in 2015. At that time I was using a belt sander to grind blades like this. The jig is similar to a Tormek. The blade is simply placed on a wooden template ...

[Image: 5-ADFFAE3-A3-EF-475-C-80-C2-B50-ACE366927.png]

Easy enough to adapt to a number of other ways.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Thata it. That is the same setup I saw in the stumpy nub video.
(07-16-2020, 08:03 PM)stav Wrote: Thata it. That is the same setup I saw in the stumpy nub video.

Actually, I first presented this method in 2008, when writing the article on cambering blades for BU planes ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTec...lades.html

[Image: TheSecretToCamberinBUPlaneBlades_html_m4429b60d.jpg]

[Image: TheSecretToCamberinBUPlaneBlades_html_2d7eb452.jpg]

Then one can take this to a honing guide (the LV here has a cambered roller) ...

[Image: TheSecretToCamberinBUPlaneBlades_html_m42350767.jpg]

This was for a LV LA Jack ...

[Image: TheSecretToCamberinBUPlaneBlades_html_m22d070e1.jpg]

I must have copied Stumpy 8 years before he thought of it
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
A note about the Stumpy version:

He took the Windsor No. 33 from Harbor Freight.     Iron is very thick.   Mouth opening is just about right for use as a scrub plane.    Plane is a #3 size.

He ground a 3" radius.    Plane has no chipbreaker.   Nor will one fit.

He was at the time lamenting the high cost of the Stanley #40, and #40-1/2 scrub planes.    The Windsor, at that time, sold for $9.95 + Tax.

He was also targeting woodworkers whom did not have a large or sponsored budget for tools, yet still wanted to do woodworking.

I had one of the Windsors for a while, and ground the iron as a scrub.....hungry little beasty.    But, it was a bit on the small side....you wear yourself out using it all day long.

I did find a $6  No. 5 ( Corsair C-5) and made that into the shop's scrub plane.   8" radius..

Have sharpened this maybe twice over the years..

And NO, I do NOT grind the chipbreaker to match..

Scrub planes are NOT for see-through shavings....get that thought out of your head right now.    They are to prep rough sawn stock to almost flat, by taking THICK shaving  while going at 90 degrees to the grain...

These are what Moxxon was talking about, and what you need to see as far as "shavings" are concerned.   
Wait until a smooth plane is called for, before you worry about thin shavings..

Like a Stanley #3,Type 11.

Windsor No. 33 scrub plane at work...

And the Corsair C-5 Scrub jack at work...(have sharpened the iron twice since then...)

Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Derek, please don't get the idea I was implying you took the idea form him. I was just indicating it was the same setup he used.  I believe he even says he got the idea somewhere else himself.
Stav, no such idea
Smile . I was just playing along.

There are few original ideas in woodworking. With my academic background, I am careful to make reference to ideas that inspired or are similar to others, when I know of them. It does not necessaily follow that one is aware of or searches for the origins of ideas.

Regards from Perth

Derek