PVC repair coupling headscratcher
So I had to do a repair on a PVC line that was leaking.  I had a 2 inch PVC line coming down and needed to join another line to it.  I was very short on space, and couldn't work a traditional coupling in there.  The fellow at the hardware store suggested a slip or repair coupling.  After thinking about it a bit, I went instead with a Fernco and it's worked fine.  

I wondered about the repair coupling, though, and I had some extra PVC pipe left over and a couple bucks in my pocket, so the next time I was at Lowes I bought a repair coupling just to try it out on some scrap pipe.  I primed the coupling and slid it up one side of the pipe, and then I primed the ends of the pipe I was joining.  Then I spread glue all over the ends of the pipe and slid the coupling down so that it was between the two pipes and I gave it a bit of a twist.  I pushed the pipes together for about 30 seconds.

After a couple minutes I gave the pipe a tug and a twist to see how things worked   On one pipe the coupling and glued on rock hard.  The other pipe, though, with a grunt I pulled it right out of the coupling.  It didn't get glued in at all!

This is what I was worried about and why I went with the Fernco.  To my thinking as you slide the coupling over the pipes you push all the glue out and away from where it is needed.  This is what seemed to happen.

Did I do something wrong?  The Fernco cost $7 and the repair coupling was $2.10, so there's a difference in cost but not huge.  I searched around on YouTube to try to see how other people use the PVC repair couplings and there aren't many videos.  The guy at Lowes told me to do it just the way I did it, but that didn't work.  Thoughts?
There are a lot of "repair" coupling types.

You might post a pic.
Sorry, the coupling was a very basic, slip coupling made of PVC, similar to the one below.

https://www.grainger.com/product/447N71?...905489838!
(07-15-2020, 02:37 PM)mlincoln Wrote: So I had to do a repair on a PVC line that was leaking.  I had a 2 inch PVC line coming down and needed to join another line to it.  I was very short on space, and couldn't work a traditional coupling in there.  The fellow at the hardware store suggested a slip or repair coupling.  After thinking about it a bit, I went instead with a Fernco and it's worked fine.  

I wondered about the repair coupling, though, and I had some extra PVC pipe left over and a couple bucks in my pocket, so the next time I was at Lowes I bought a repair coupling just to try it out on some scrap pipe.  I primed the coupling and slid it up one side of the pipe, and then I primed the ends of the pipe I was joining.  Then I spread glue all over the ends of the pipe and slid the coupling down so that it was between the two pipes and I gave it a bit of a twist.  I pushed the pipes together for about 30 seconds.

After a couple minutes I gave the pipe a tug and a twist to see how things worked   On one pipe the coupling and glued on rock hard.  The other pipe, though, with a grunt I pulled it right out of the coupling.  It didn't get glued in at all!

This is what I was worried about and why I went with the Fernco.  To my thinking as you slide the coupling over the pipes you push all the glue out and away from where it is needed.  This is what seemed to happen.

Did I do something wrong?  The Fernco cost $7 and the repair coupling was $2.10, so there's a difference in cost but not huge.  I searched around on YouTube to try to see how other people use the PVC repair couplings and there aren't many videos.  The guy at Lowes told me to do it just the way I did it, but that didn't work.  Thoughts?
you can buy PVC unions that screw together also for such tight quarters repairs.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I n the electrical field we use to do that all the time. We would make our own slip coupling by filing out the center tab or ring. Many times we would have to join a couple pipes that were rigid in could not get them out. to force a coupling on. Need to work fast and mark the end of the pipe so when you slide the coupling down no need to guess half way point. We did that with EMT tubing also. Very easy to do. The glue makes it easy to slide when doing pvc thus need to use a good amount.
John T.
Old pipe gets dirty and has trouble bonding. It's got to be clean, like new pipe clean. Also have to follow the primer and cement directions to a "T".
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I would use a compression coupling, have used many with no issues,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQsjAM2M_iA