anyone have a small freezer?
looks like it's not too hard to get a 3cu. ft. freezer now.  That would be nice to get some stuff out of the refrigerator freezer.  Not sure I want to drive up our electric bill more, the already send us letters every year about how we're the energy hog of the neighborhood
I would like to get one but don't have room for one right now. Too much other crap. The small ones are in stock in the stores here again though they went up in price by $80. They use very little electricity however look at the usage of larger units. Typically the larger ones use the same amount of KWH as a small one and sometimes less. Usually around $20/year which you can easily make up for that and the unit by buying meat when it's on sale.

I have two mini fridges... One has a dedicated freezer and hes been in the shop for a couple years. The other is the same size with an internal freezer which sucks and will barely keep ice pops cold let alone anything else. When I let them run plugged into a kilowatt they pull less than the energyguide stickers and they are both out in the shop which is only airconditioned when I am out there. The rest of the time it's well over 100* in the shop.
Thanks.  If we get a bigger one, we'll have to make room.  I have been thinking about getting rid of a counter in the basement, so it could fit there.  Not sure how large I want to go though.
Ours is 6' tall, so no mini here. Doubtful a large one will use much more than a small one.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have a 5 cu/ft freezer I take to elk camp. It will freeze a cut and wrapped bull elk in about 3 days. I power it with a Honda 1000 generator.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
We have a full size and it's old but barely bumps the electric bill. It works great for keeping the upstairs freezer uncluttered.
(07-16-2020, 08:10 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: They use very little electricity however look at the usage of larger units. Typically the larger ones use the same amount of KWH as a small one and sometimes less. Usually around $20/year which you can easily make up for that and the unit by buying meat when it's on sale.

Our mid-size upright freezer, which is probably at least 25 years old, uses so little I don't give it a second thought any more.  It sits in the basement, which is low-60's all the time, so that probably helps, but for an old machine, I've got no complaints.  I would think the new ones are better still.  

After all these years, I finally stuck a thermometer in there and found that it was too warm, so there's that.  It's now down around zero F, which on this one is almost all the way down on the dial.  
Slap
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
All you guys gloating about having basements... Must be nice. If we had them here room wouldn't be an issue. Us without basements have to buy a house twice the size of those up north with basements. 

Anyway here is a very well done video on freezer efficiency.
(07-17-2020, 08:49 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: All you guys gloating about having basements... Must be nice. If we had them here room wouldn't be an issue. Us without basements have to buy a house twice the size of those up north with basements. 

My oldest lives in the Houston area, and has told me that nobody in Houston uses their garage for parking their cars.  
Laugh
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(07-17-2020, 08:49 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: All you guys gloating about having basements... Must be nice. If we had them here room wouldn't be an issue. Us without basements have to buy a house twice the size of those up north with basements.

Basements come with some issues, sometimes....  basically water issues; I've had basements with serious water issues, medium, and none.  Right now for the last 17 years I've been dry as a bone, have a sump pump pit but never had to put in a pump.  Just next door, they've got water issues up the yazoo.  Go figure.  So it can be a blessing or a curse . . .
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis