Adding support to a deck
(07-19-2020, 05:52 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: The buyer should fire their agent. The agent is covering the costs so he/she doesn't get sued. Can't stand dealing with lousy agents. Part time agents, relatives, rookies, for-sale-buy-owner etc. Nothing but problems. I'm working with one today.

I would think more bolts is the way to go. I am not sure about local codes but lead anchors and lag bolts would be first choice. You could put more support under the deck using the concrete 4x4 piers after you have satisfied the inspector. I have seen the piers added to give a bit more support and i have not seen a problem with frost heave.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
(07-19-2020, 05:52 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: The buyer should fire their agent. The agent is covering the costs so he/she doesn't get sued. Can't stand dealing with lousy agents. Part time agents, relatives, rookies, for-sale-buy-owner etc. Nothing but problems. I'm working with one today.

We did the final walk-through tonight.  Their agent had apparently gone through earlier and gave our agent the thumbs up.  Knucklehead.

I couldn't get far enough under the deck tonight to tell how the ledger was attached, but not too surprisingly from inside the crawlspace, I could see the rim joist sitting on top of the block.  I didn't poke around enough to see if the tips of the bolts were poking through.

When we drove up there was a guy who was locking up the house and indicated he was there to tune up the mower, he cut a little of the lawn (it's over an acre), and gassed it up and it's good to go.  He added the mower was running great and was only 2 years old.  I'm thinking, what mower?  I already arranged for a landscaping company to come cut the grass on Wednesday.  We're going to rent out this house when we go back overseas and I wasn't going to buy a mower.

So we go in the garage and there's this fairly nice looking Craftsman riding mower sitting there.  Now I'm left wondering if someone is coming to pick up this mower (the owner moved to CO) or if she decided to leave it behind.  Her movers packed up all the window screens that were sitting in the garage, too, so now we need to figure out how to get them back from her.  Why did I buy a house again?
(07-19-2020, 07:28 PM)messmaker Wrote: I would think more bolts is the way to go. I am not sure about local codes but lead anchors and lag bolts would be first choice. You could put more support under the deck using the concrete 4x4 piers after you have satisfied the inspector. I have seen the piers added to give a bit more support and i have not seen a problem with frost heave.

Can't use those in Frederick County or any place in Maryland as far as I know. A frost heave can push up and damage the deck or even rip the ledger board from the house. They aren't allowed on anything connected to the home. Free standing sheds are about all you can use them on. And deck support column has to be on a concrete footer, 16" in diameter set below the frost line. IIRC, Frederick frost line is 32" deep.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS