Estate Sale finds..
Spun on the drill press...

Until the paint is gone....then a coat of BLO spun on...

Varnished handles, waiting to be rubbed down...

Just need buffed out, and re-installed....then the iron will get worked over....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Which leaves the irons to fix up...

Even the bolt needed work...big burrs at the slot.   Set up a better sharpening center...

120 grit disc.   Bright overhead light, big glass of water.   Flatten the back of the iron.  Wire wheel on grinder to clean the rest of the rust off....and a burr...

Iron also had a slight curve to it....mallet and the top of the bench's leg....curve is gone.   Disc to take care of a bad edge..

trying to match the existing 25 degree bevel....then over to the oil stones..

Coarse Carborundum, then the 600 grit Medium India....worked on the chipbreaker as I went along...

Then a 1,000 grit, and this 2,000 grit paper.....then the strop..

Then worked on the chipbreaker to close up any gaps.....since the rest of this jack plane was upstairs...I used the other Sargent jack plane in the shop to test the iron/chipbreaker out

Took a few trips to get it just right ( chipbreaker is set back from the edge 1mm)

Removed the iron from the Sargent 414c, then installed it into the Craftsman BL Jack plane upstairs...

Which leaves that D8 rip saw to clean up...next. 

So, now I have a pair of Sargent jack planes..the #414c and the smooth sole Craftsman BL....

Stay tuned...
Winkgrin
So...I might have a set of twins...
Confused 

One is a Sargent #414c...the other was sold by Sears as a Craftsman jack plane...otherwise..

The 414c is a bit older than the Craftsman...VBM is from about 1907-ish....Craftsman came out when?

The Craftsman has a smooth sole.
Now, about that old D8 I also picked for a dollar bill?...
Confused  

Was finally able to clean it up...

Scrape off the paint splatters, LIGHT sanding with some 220 grit...then a it of 3in1 oil in a paint brush and then wipe the handle down..

Clocked the slots the same as I found them,  plate was cleaned up , found a fully readable etch, too...."8" was inside of the "D"...seems to be about 1917 or so? 

Less than 8 strokes.  Saw is still quite sharp. 
28" long, 5-1/2 ppi, slight curve to the tooth line (breasted?).   Might just be a keeper?
Winkgrin