Pony clamps found at Lowe’s
With underlying health issues since the Covid started I have limited my trips to any store to a matter of elevated need over convenience.  Last night I made my first trip to Lowe’s since all this started.   I went straight in to get what I needed and couldn’t help myself from taking a quick tour of the tool department.   As I turned a corner I found a bunch of Pony spring clamps on the end cap, looking a bit more I noted some other Pony clamps. 
Raised  Something seemed different with them but I did not stop to touch and feel them.
As I went up the next aisle I caught sight of some cabinet masters and some other orange.  I’ll let the quick cell phone photo tell the rest of the story. 

[attachment=28389]
Dave
"Amateur Putzing in Shop." Northern Wood on Norm 5/07

"Dave's shop is so small you have to go outside to turn around" Big Dave on my old shop
So I built a new shop.  (Picasa went away so did the link to the pictures)
they have the same stile at menards pony in name only AFAIK ones i looked at were made in china just kind of copy's of a good old American brand
(07-19-2020, 02:39 PM)oakey Wrote: they have the  same  stile at menards pony in name only AFAIK ones i looked at were made in china just kind of copy's of a good old American brand

I should have mentioned that they were definitely not the originals.  You could tell just by the look.  It just surprised me to see just about the entire line for sale at Lowe’s.  Seems to me that before Adjustable shutdown Home Depot was carrying them.
Dave
"Amateur Putzing in Shop." Northern Wood on Norm 5/07

"Dave's shop is so small you have to go outside to turn around" Big Dave on my old shop
So I built a new shop.  (Picasa went away so did the link to the pictures)
The old company was heading down the closure path and a Chinese company bought it out, saving a bit of jobs but clamps are made in China. Same thing for the Jorgersen handscrews.

Bridge City Tools is another example.

Simon
If I recall correctly, the Chinese company moved all the tooling to China. Their F-Style clamps are still assembled in Chicago, but "with foreign parts". Pony / Jorgensen claims on their website the specs are unchanged.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I usually bring home any of the "original pony" I find at garage sales. A good clamp just has a nice feel to it.
(07-19-2020, 07:22 PM)AHill Wrote: If I recall correctly, the Chinese company moved all the tooling to China.  Their F-Style clamps are still assembled in Chicago, but "with foreign parts".  Pony / Jorgensen claims on their website the specs are unchanged.

I haven't had a chance to use any new Pony or Jorg clamps, but I doubt they'd be much different from the original ones. I have some Harbor Freight Chinese F clamps, and for their prices, its rating is 4.5* out of 5 if my pricey Bessey's is 5. A shop teacher I know bought a few new BCT things, and he thought they were decent tools. Frankly, for the 20% or 30% price difference, I wouldn't vouch for the Chinese version. 50% or 60% cheaper, may be.

Simon
I think Lowes carries the pony brand and Home Depot carries the Bessey brand. I am a fan of the bessey clamps. There pipe clamps are nice and heavy feeling.
The only clamps I'll buy today are at estate/yard sales and if they are Bessey, I'll generally buy everything in sight. Might get some Pony spring clamps and Jorgy handscrews.
Looks like pony lost the wood handles on the F clamps. Bummer
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020