Drum sander choices
Looking to replace my Delta 1836.  Supermax and Jet in 16 or 19 inch versions within the budget.  Anybody got an experienced choice?  Something else I should be looking at?
Thanks.
I've got the Supermax 19/38 and it works great. Paper changes are easier than the Performax 16/32 I had previously. I'd recommend the Supermax with no reservations.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
(07-20-2020, 03:16 PM)Demps Wrote: Looking to replace my Delta 1836.  Supermax and Jet in 16 or 19 inch versions within the budget.  Anybody got an experienced choice?  Something else I should be looking at?
Thanks.

What is it about the Delta you don't like?  What would you expect another machine of the same size will do better?  I had a Delta 1836 and it did everything I asked of it.  The abrasive retention clips were top notch.  I upgraded to a 24" double drum sander for the larger width, two drums, and more HP.  

John
I gave up my DS 6-7 years ago (the original Delta, 31-250) when I quit using it as much as when it was new. About 2 years ago I realized things had changed again to where one would be quite useful, so I bought a Supermax 19/38. The improvements in the Supermax are really nice, and even though the manufactur is now in Taiwan instead of the US, they seem to still be a quality product.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(07-20-2020, 08:53 PM)jteneyck Wrote: What is it about the Delta you don't like?  What would you expect another machine of the same size will do better?  I had a Delta 1836 and it did everything I asked of it.  The abrasive retention clips were top notch.  I upgraded to a 24" double drum sander for the larger width, two drums, and more HP.  

John

Well, I have a potential buyer for starters.  I've always found the paper change to be a bit of a hassle and am checking out the newest tech.
For the record, I don't find the paper change to be much different on the Supermax 19/38 (vs. the Delta).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(07-20-2020, 03:16 PM)Demps Wrote: Looking to replace my Delta 1836.  Supermax and Jet in 16 or 19 inch versions within the budget.  Anybody got an experienced choice?  Something else I should be looking at?
Thanks.

Someone here bought this for us Christmas 2018 and it is the best.  You can put 40g or 60g paper on the front roller and 80grit on the back roller and it comes out so nice.

Also it is very accurate if a piece is off on one side it will take the whole thing and make it even.  Mine will sand down to .18 not quite 1/8 but close and if I put a board under it with some double stick tape on each end it will take it even to .63 and at 23" wide to.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly...der/G1066R

When I first got it I went to the site to see the cost and at the time it was $775 so it has went up but still worth ever penny now.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(07-21-2020, 08:49 AM)Demps Wrote: Well, I have a potential buyer for starters.  I've always found the paper change to be a bit of a hassle and am checking out the newest tech.

Never seen another any easier, and many are a lot more difficult.  The Delta is spring loaded on both ends, too, something my new, wider machine lacks but would benefit from.  What else don't you like?  The only annoying thing with mine was the drive belt would never stay centered for more than a few hours and required constant tweaking.  Of course, many folks don't use their DS more than a few hours a year so it wouldn't be a big deal, but I was putting several hours a week on mine, and still do on the new one when I'm sawing veneer.  

John
Woodmaster....

Ed
(07-21-2020, 06:17 PM)EdL Wrote: Woodmaster....

Ed

Now you're talking a real upgrade.  

John