A Disston screwdriver?
While cleaning up a few rusty & krusty screwdrivers...
Rolleyes

One turned out to have a logo on it's shaft...
Confused

Reads:  DISSTON
           U. S. A.
         ELECTRO

Hmmm, since when did Disston make a screwdriver?
Also in the pile of cleaned up screwdrivers...was this "heavy-duty" model..

Haven't found any markings on it...

Has a square shank.....blade is at an angle to the flats....forged? 

Not sure if the hanle is Walnut, Rosewood, or just Motor Oil Stain.....9-1/2" overall length.

2 mysteries to solve...( and a stash of other rusty screwdrivers to clean up..)
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(07-22-2020, 09:57 AM)bandit571 Wrote: While cleaning up a few rusty & krusty screwdrivers...
Rolleyes

One turned out to have a logo on it's shaft...
Confused

Reads:  DISSTON
           U. S. A.
         ELECTRO

Hmmm, since when did Disston make a screwdriver?

Disston would have made toilet paper if they could sell it.  You'll find the screwdrivers in here at page 221:

http://blackburntools.com/articles/rose-...index.html

Scroll down to Disston, open the 1918 catalog.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thank you !

Now, about that square shanked one.....
Confused
(07-22-2020, 10:55 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Now, about that square shanked one.....
Confused

You are on your own!  Hey, I solved the Disston question, whaddy'a want, an egg in your beer!!  
Laugh 

I remember back in the late 60's, early '70s, I worked in a paper mill, midnight shift, 10:30pm to 6:30am, and "Mary's," the gin mill right outside the plant, would open for the shift change, and we'd shuffle in for a snort before heading off home to bed, and a lot of the old timers did indeed sink a raw egg in their beers for breakfast.... was not my cup of tea, I ate the hard boiled pickled ones.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
On the square shanked screwdriver, I can't think of any practical reason you would need an extended taper on one side. It appears the tip is still on the centerline. Maybe just a poor job of forging or grinding at the factory.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Actually, that taper is the same on both faces of the shaft...both go up 2-5/8" from the tip.  Tip is 5/16" wide at the very edge.  Shaft is right at 8mm square.
I've got a pair of plastic-handled Stanleys with the square shaft & the blade off from the flats.  Never considered they might be odd--they've been in the family longer than I have ...

A quick web search on the model numbers comes up with little, except that they might be named "Workmaster."

The 6-incher's shaft measures just a hair under 6"; the 4-incher, on the other hand, has a shaft that's a solid ... 3-1/2".
(07-23-2020, 04:24 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Actually, that taper is the same on both faces of the shaft...both go up 2-5/8" from the tip.  Tip is 5/16" wide at the very edge.  Shaft is right at 8mm square.

So help me out.  What's the mystery?  Is it the fact that there's a square shaft?  I'm not following you.  Probably my fault for not understanding you.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Maye a clue as to who made this screwdriver....
Looks like the screwdriver that came with the Ford Model A Toolkit.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill