Dye for alcohol mixed with water dye
So I bought the wrong dye. I wanted to top off a big jug of water borne dye but I bought an envelope of alcohol dye powder. I know it won't mix well in water. It tells you that right on the label. So, the question is can I mix this dye with a small amount of alcohol, making a super saturated alcohol mix then toss  it in with the rest of my water borne dye? I really wanted to use the water borne because of it's better penetrating properties and lack of lap marks on a big surface. OR do I bite the bullet and buy some more water borne dye powder?
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
(07-24-2020, 09:13 AM)Eurekan Wrote: So I bought the wrong dye. I wanted to top off a big jug of water borne dye but I bought an envelope of alcohol dye powder. I know it won't mix well in water. It tells you that right on the label. So, the question is can I mix this dye with a small amount of alcohol, making a super saturated alcohol mix then toss  it in with the rest of my water borne dye? I really wanted to use the water borne because of it's better penetrating properties and lack of lap marks on a big surface. OR do I bite the bullet and buy some more water borne dye powder?

Only one way to find out.  My guess is it will work OK as you propose.  

John
(07-24-2020, 09:36 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Only one way to find out.  My guess is it will work OK as you propose.  

John

Alcohol is miscible in water, so it should work.
Try a small test quantity to be certain ... add it to your jug if it works ... toss it out if it doesn't.