Small Router Plane
I've been wanting to build this router plane from St James Bay for many years. I purchased the brass rough casting about 18 months ago, and finally got to it this past weekend ...

[Image: St-James-Bay-Router-Plane1.jpg]

The knobs are copied from the Lie Nielsen side rebate planes. 

[Image: 1-1.jpg]

[Image: 2.jpg]

Here is the model ...

[Image: 3.jpg]

Compared with the Large Veritas router plane ...

[Image: 5.jpg]

Compared with the Small Veritas router plane ..

[Image: 4.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Nice job, Derek! I like how you polished the edges of the base.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(07-26-2020, 09:26 AM)AHill Wrote: Nice job, Derek!  I like how you polished the edges of the base.

Way to go..I contend if you want something build it of you can.

Tom
Derek,  nice work.   I have always thought St. James Bay Tool Company makes a nice casting at a fair price.  I have made a few of their infills, and thought about the small router, but was afraid I would not use it very much.
(07-26-2020, 07:23 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: Derek,  nice work.   I have always thought St. James Bay Tool Company makes a nice casting at a fair price.  I have made a few of their infills, and thought about the small router, but was afraid I would not use it very much.

I like their castings also...I have made a chariot and a block plane in the English tradition, from their parts...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

That looks great! I especially like the wooden knobs.

Have you tried it out much yet? Does the blade want to rotate as much as it does on the Veritas?
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(07-27-2020, 07:53 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: That looks great!  I especially like the wooden knobs.

Have you tried it out much yet?  Does the blade want to rotate as much as it does on the Veritas?

No. The casting is not finished as smooth as the Veritas. The bronze is a little grittier in the channel. Once the collar is tight, there is no movement.

Some years ago I came up with a fix for the Veritas Small:  http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeToo...Plane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Beautiful work Derek. Would you please tell us about the handle shape? How about a picture of how you hold and use it and what shape you think is best? I think turned handles are interesting. You chose the low knob look, which is good depending on how you use it. I know you must have thought about it.

What is nicer than wood and metal and a blade in this world.

Adam
(07-29-2020, 12:35 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: Beautiful work Derek.  Would you please tell us about the handle shape? How about a picture of how you hold and use it and what shape you think is best? I think turned handles are interesting.  You chose the low knob look, which is good depending on how you use it. I know you must have thought about it.

What is nicer than wood and metal and a blade in this world.

Adam

Thanks Adam.

Now I must warn you, the topic of handles is a hobby horse of mine. I could go on for hours about their design and use.

For many years I have written about It is possible to change the balance of a plane, and the way it performs, through the force vectors that begin with the handle shape and how it is held. I have discussed this to death on my website, but one article to read (if you must) is the one I wrote about plane handles:  http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews...anes3.html

For control, the lower and more parallel to the work surface, the lower the centre of effort: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Commentary/...Plane.html

This is a term I borrowed from my windsurfing days, where it refers to the effect from tuning a sail to position the area of maximum power. Power low down on the sail is better converted into control and, therefore, speed. The same effect is with hand planes - keep the power (grip) lower and there will be better control. 

Some debate which handles are better: those on the LN large router plane, which are vertical, or those on the Veritas large router plane, which angle and appear wider and lower. 

[Image: The-Veritas-Router-Plane-html-1e4f5901.jpg]

Actually, if we could do away with handles, and push low from behind the blade, there would be more control and power. This is why my small (actually medium-sized) wooden router plane is a joy to use ...

[Image: CentreofEffortinaPlane_html_51e900b9.jpg]

So how did I come by the handles for this small router plane? The answer is "I got lucky". These were the third lot I made. The first two were lower and narrower. I disliked their aesthetic, and looked around for inspiration. The LN side rabbet planes were a similar height, and I liked the broad tops. What they do is allow the grip to squat low. You can hook thumbs under the knob tops and push forward. It feels very satisfying. This router is going to be a working tool, not a shelf queen. 

Regards from Perth

Derek