Formica corners problems
SWMBO and a kitchen designer did a mostly great job on our cabinets for the new house.

They are now installed and SWMBO is thrilled how it looks.

Problem is that when she decided not to spend the extra $1k that was quoted for the curved edges they made them all square edges with square corners.

I have two problems with the square corners -- first one is the sharp edges hurting someone who bumps against them and the second is that the formica edging will be peeled off.

I'm going to discuss the corners with the designer and see if they have a solution or if I will need to miter the corners and glue on the formica edging. 

Any suggestions?
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Make the contractor fix it, you paid for good work.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(07-27-2020, 06:54 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: Make the contractor fix it, you paid for good work.

Why should the contractor fix something they didn't do wrong. She didn't want to pay the extra for the curved so they made them square.

As for formica corners I don't like curves as they cone off eventually. Miters are the way to go but adding them after the fact... Not easy and not long lasting due to what you have to do to do it.
(07-27-2020, 06:53 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: SWMBO and a kitchen designer did a mostly great job on our cabinets for the new house.

Thy are now installed and SWMBO is thrilled how it looks.

Problem is that when she decided not to spend the extra $1k that was quoted for the curved edges they made them all square edges with square corners.

I have two problems with the square corners -- first one is the sharp edges hurting someone who bumps against them and the second is that the formica edging will be peeled off.

I'm going to discuss the corners with the designer and see if they have a solution or if I will need to miter the corners and glue on the formica edging. 

Any suggestions?

This is one of those things you should have overruled her on.
Contact cement. It's what's used to adhere the laminate. It's what's used to fix it.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Before I replaced the formica counter with butcher block I had a corner that was addressed by clipping the corner at 45 degrees and covering it with formica to match.  That will not work with a formed edge, but only with a cut edge.

I addressed that same issue on the butcher block by extending it a few inches and making a gentle curve on the peninsula.  It addressed the corners on both sides.

Without a picture it is hard to make any suggestions that fit your situation.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
A properly layed up formica top should last the life of the tops.  I have seen tops that last 40 years or more.  I installed casework in Drugstores that had formica counters that were installed for 10years before the changed them out and they still looked good with no delamination
(07-28-2020, 07:59 AM)fixtureman Wrote: A properly layed up formica top should last the life of the tops.  I have seen tops that last 40 years or more.  I installed casework in Drugstores that had formica counters that were installed for 10years before the changed them out and they still looked good with no delamination

Ditto...  when I replaced cabinets and counter top in my parent's house after they passed, I ripped out the formica countertop that was installed 45 years before; back then it was a carpenter who did the work, made the cabinets and fabricated the countertop, and other than being incredibly dated, the cabinets and top held up very well, in particular the formica was solidly attached with no delamination.  Substrate was quality plywood; I'm fairly certain that the substrates they use nowadays would not last as long....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(07-27-2020, 06:53 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: SWMBO and a kitchen designer did a mostly great job on our cabinets for the new house.

Thy are now installed and SWMBO is thrilled how it looks.

Any suggestions?

Formica????  Really????

Thought no one installed since the late 80's, no???
Dumber than I appear
(07-28-2020, 10:39 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Formica????  Really????

Thought no one installed since the late 80's, no???

Our custom built house was built in 1998, and the owners originally installed HPL. We (second owners) redid the Kitchen 2 years ago and I lobbied for HPL (but lost the argument). The new HPL looks nice (to my eyes) and they've done some neat things with the edges and overall appearance. I like it, and still wish we had it. Our baths and laundry room still have the original HPL, and it's doing just fine.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.