Working with an electrician to add a breaker and subpanel
Oh and if you're gonna pull a meter, shut off the breaker inside first. Also smart meters signal a disconnect and they (utility) may roll a truck depending on where you are. So do this work on weekends when they're short staffed.
(07-30-2020, 09:22 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: Oh and if you're gonna pull a meter, shut off the breaker inside first. Also smart meters signal a disconnect and they (utility) may roll a truck depending on where you are. So do this work on weekends when they're short staffed.

And cover the giant hole with the exposed energized lugs from the service drop.  Usually best to call them and tell them you're going to do it before doing it, or they'll come out and do it for you.  

If they pull the meter, they likely won't put it back if they measure any resistance on the lugs less than infinity (open circuit) - they don't want the liability for connecting you back to the utility when there's a possibility of either arc flash, or something starting up unattended that ends up damaged or causing damage.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(07-30-2020, 09:35 AM)TDKPE Wrote: And cover the giant hole with the exposed energized lugs from the service drop.  Usually best to call them and tell them you're going to do it before doing it, or they'll come out and do it for you.  

If they pull the meter, they likely won't put it back if they measure any resistance on the lugs less than infinity (open circuit) - they don't want the liability for connecting you back to the utility when there's a possibility of either arc flash, or something starting up unattended that ends up damaged or causing damage.
 Pulling the meter has it's own hazards.    Check the meter socket for loose mounting screws visually before pulling meter, most of the time they are right behind or very close to the meter socket lugs,  The meter socket terminal blocks can be cracked or broken and the clips the meter is plugged into pull free from the terminal block but still connected. Make sure the meter is correctly orientated when reinstalling.   Be sure and use safety glasses and gloves if you do have a flash.  Depending on the local rules pulling the meter can trigger a reinspect if they see new wiring.   Roly
(07-30-2020, 10:35 AM)Roly Wrote:  Pulling the meter has it's own hazards.    Check the meter socket for loose mounting screws visually before pulling meter, most of the time they are right behind or very close to the meter socket lugs,  The meter socket terminal blocks can be cracked or broken and the clips the meter is plugged into pull free from the terminal block but still connected. Make sure the meter is correctly orientated when reinstalling.   Be sure and use safety glasses and gloves if you do have a flash.  Depending on the local rules pulling the meter can trigger a reinspect if they see new wiring.   Roly

I pulled my meter when installing the transfer switch on the last house. Watched a few videos. The electricians wore thick gloves, fire proof vests, face-shields and hard hats and thick rubber soled boots.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I really don't think pulling the meter is necessary, but then again, I hired out my subpanel..... :-)
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Not trying to convince you one way or the other – but here is my $.02.

I also live in CA. Are you going to have the work permitted/inspected thru the local agency? For a sub-panel they may (probably will) want to see an overall load calculation to ensure you have adequate service. Can you do this calculation? They may even want a schematic. These are not overly difficult (there are several on-line resources), but you need a decent understanding of the NEC to do it properly.

The first time the inspector sees an improperly made up box during the rough, miss-wired 3-way switch, improper bonding in the sub-panel, mis-wired arc fault or ground fault circuit or even the wrong size wire nut – whatever, may start to question the whole project.

I would do the work myself because I basically know how to do it (I am not an electrician, but I am an EE and so I pretty much understand this stuff). I also volunteer for H4H on their electrical team and have wired many H4H houses. I don’t know your comfort or skill level, but just based on some of your questions you strike me as some of the volunteers we have at H4H. Maybe not an expert with this particular trade (no offence intended) – but has general construction knowledge (heck – you are a woodworker, so I know you have skills!)

We would have volunteers hang boxes, drill holes and run NMS cable – maybe even make-up boxes for rough inspections – but we bring in the main service, wire the sub-panel, etc. and make most of the final connections. So perhaps there is something you could work out with an electrician to do part of the work (but, understand he may not want sign-off or have his name on the line unless he/she does – or at least oversees the work).

Finally, not sure the city where you live, but as the “homeowner” you should/would be allowed to do this work.  Most city’s will require you to sign an permit addendum or waiver as the “Owner-Builder” – in which you basically acknowledge you are NOT a licensed contractor and pretty much absolve the city of liability for the work activities.