Working with an electrician to add a breaker and subpanel
OP, do you want to run a new circuit or two to the garage or install a sub panel?
I've actually installed breakers in a panel before, but my wife has nixed doing it in the future - it's a third category "ready, able, and banned from". 

Once I have a subpanel I have no issues wiring the rest of the garage. It's the connection to the main panel that's the sticking point.
Computer geek and amateur woodworker.
(07-28-2020, 10:37 AM)abernat Wrote: I've actually installed breakers in a panel before, but my wife has nixed doing it in the future - it's a third category "ready, able, and banned from". 

Once I have a subpanel I have no issues wiring the rest of the garage. It's the connection to the main panel that's the sticking point.

What's the difference in putting breakers in a sub panel and putting breakers in a main panel? 
Confused

If I didn't want to run the wire I'd just go find some kid that wanted to earn a $50 bill and send him in there with a flash light.
(07-28-2020, 11:42 AM)DieselDennis Wrote: What's the difference in putting breakers in a sub panel and putting breakers in a main panel? 
Confused

If I didn't want to run the wire I'd just go find some kid that wanted to earn a $50 bill and send him in there with a flash light.

The sub panel can be killed from the breaker he is wanting to put in the main panel.    Punching knock outs in the main panel can get you in trouble if you are not careful.. Roly
(07-28-2020, 12:08 PM)Roly Wrote: The sub panel can be killed from the breaker he is wanting to put in the main panel.    Punching knock outs in the main panel can get you in trouble if you are not careful.. Roly

The main panel should be able to shut the main breaker off.
(07-28-2020, 12:34 PM)fixtureman Wrote: The main panel should be able to shut the main breaker off.

In the main panel there will be energized connections either on the main breaker itself or buss connections depending on panel style, even if the main breaker in the panel is off.  The line side connections.   At that point the only protection is normally on the transformer feeding it.  Roly
(07-28-2020, 12:34 PM)fixtureman Wrote: The main panel should be able to shut the main breaker off.

Somewhere there has to be a first disconnect.  Usually the main panel, but can be before that, like in manufactured housing where the service equipment is on a pole outside the building.

Killing the main breaker in the panel kills everything below that, but the mains lugs are still hot.  Not a big deal - just don't go near them.  But if in doubt, call a pro.  The OP may need to anyway, if the town doesn't allow DIY electrical.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Tom: slightly off topic, but I have been cautioned more than once that frequently, when that main breaker that has been in the ON position for maybe 20 or 30 years is flipped open, you will not get it to close again.  All the work I do on my main panel has been live since I never wanted to find out for myself if this theory on the main breaker is true. Any thoughts? Phil

(07-28-2020, 12:41 PM)TDKPE Wrote: Somewhere there has to be a first disconnect.  Usually the main panel, but can be before that, like in manufactured housing where the service equipment is on a pole outside the building.

Killing the main breaker in the panel kills everything below that, but the mains lugs are still hot.  Not a big deal - just don't go near them.  But if in doubt, call a pro.  The OP may need to anyway, if the town doesn't allow DIY electrical.
(07-30-2020, 08:08 AM)Philip1231 Wrote: Tom: slightly off topic, but I have been cautioned more than once that frequently, when that main breaker that has been in the ON position for maybe 20 or 30 years is flipped open, you will not get it to close again.  All the work I do on my main panel has been live since I never wanted to find out for myself if this theory on the main breaker is true. Any thoughts? Phil

I've not heard that, nor have I experienced it.  But you can't prove a negative, I suppose and me or anyone not seeing it before doesn't mean it never happens.  

I add or repair circuits with the panel hot, but the OP doesn't want to.  I'd bet any sparky he hires will work it hot, though, since breakers pop in and out easily without putting body parts in jeopardy (one hand only, and full insulated screw drivers when needed).  Just have to be careful pulling big cables into the space - keep the other ends insulated, or better yet, already connected in the sub, with load breakers in the sub left open.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
My old neighbor just pulled the meter, made his changes, replaced the meter and called the power company to tag it. He had this sense about him, he was an old marine and you just did what he said.

The only time I saw him get agitated was once when a contractor hired by the city to do concrete work on our street didn't yield to my neighbor's suggestion.

To quote my neighbor, "son, you're within a c-hair of finding out what it is like to get your a$$ kicked by a 70-yo ex-marine."

He would have, too. Calmer heads intervened.

That was within a week of us first moving in. I thought our new neighbor was a hothead. But not in the least, great guy.

Oh and if I'd forget and accidentally leave the outside light on the garage turned on in the evening, my neighbor would unscrew the bulb a little, so it didn't shine in his eyes while he sat outside having cocktails. Took a couple of weeks fiddling with that thing b4 I realized he was doing it.

That was like thirty years ago. He is gone now.