How to shut off water when on a well?
If he shuts the main valve he can repair the leaky shower shut off valve with out any problem why make it harder then it is.
Lots of theories here from people who don’t seem to have any experience with a well(or domestic plumbing in general).Close the valve in the green box, make your repair, and open the valve. Anything beyond that is just folks talking to hear themselves talk.
(07-29-2020, 07:44 PM)fixtureman Wrote: If he shuts the main valve he can repair the leaky shower shut off valve with out any problem why make it harder then it is.
Yeah, looking at the OP's photo, worst case he can close the two valves by the water filter (yes the valve in the green box) and totally isolate the filter, air tank, water softener, pump,.. from the downstream supply.

No need to touch the pump at all. Doing more is just wasting water.

He can turn off the valve at the water heater to isolate the WH too (since he said he wanted to premptively fix the hot-side valve too).

Drain the unisolated part of the system from a hot water faucet on the lowest level, repair, etc.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
(07-29-2020, 07:50 PM)jlanciani Wrote: Lots of theories here from people who don’t seem to have any experience with a well(or domestic plumbing in general).Close the valve in the green box, make your repair, and open the valve. Anything beyond that is just folks talking to hear themselves talk.

Yes, I tried this out yesterday for S&G and that works.  Just need to pick up my order from HD tomorrow and I'll be done with this.

Thanks everyone.  It's been enlightening.