How to shut off water when on a well?
Use the valves that's what they are there for.  Why drain the tank and have to refill it
(07-29-2020, 06:24 AM)fixtureman Wrote: Use the valves that's what they are there for.  Why drain the tank and have to refill it

+1 . . . . . . . . . . .. . .
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(07-28-2020, 05:17 PM)WoodCzech Wrote: Maybe also turn off the breaker for the electric water heater.  I think it shouldn't be run dry when it's on, but off should be ok.

How would it run dry if you don't drain the tank? Turning off well pump does not drain system.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
(07-29-2020, 11:39 AM)Cub_Cadet_GT Wrote: How would it run dry if you don't drain the tank? Turning off well pump does not drain system.

He wants to repair the valve to the shower so he needs to stop the flow of water.  Just shutting off the pump he still will have water pressure
(07-29-2020, 12:49 PM)fixtureman Wrote: He wants to repair the valve to the shower so he needs to stop the flow of water.  Just shutting off the pump he still will have water pressure

yeah, for about 10 seconds after he opens a faucet somewhere.

(07-29-2020, 01:41 PM)crokett™ Wrote: yeah, for about 10 seconds after he opens a faucet somewhere.

That is if he shuts the valve but if he just turns the pump off he should have pressure for a lot longer then 10 seconds The tank holds 40 to 60 pounds of pressure
While it is all off, I'd install a ball valve like Admiral mentions, so you can just shut one valve off and leave everything else alone.
(07-28-2020, 10:38 AM)Cub_Cadet_GT Wrote: Turn off breaker to well pump. 

Drain pressure from system from faucet until pressure tank is empty. 

Work on valve.

Turn breaker back on.

(07-28-2020, 05:17 PM)WoodCzech Wrote: Maybe also turn off the breaker for the electric water heater.  I think it shouldn't be run dry when it's on, but off should be ok.

(07-29-2020, 11:39 AM)Cub_Cadet_GT Wrote: How would it run dry if you don't drain the tank? Turning off well pump does not drain system.

(07-29-2020, 12:49 PM)fixtureman Wrote: He wants to repair the valve to the shower so he needs to stop the flow of water.  Just shutting off the pump he still will have water pressure

I was replying to a post about the hot water heater not the pressure tank.

My first post clearly stated turn off breaker, open faucet to drain pressure tank, fix valve, turn breaker back on. The hot water heater is not affected in any way with this procedure.

Not sure why some make this so complicated. This is plumbing 101.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent

Maybe it would, maybe not.  My theory is that since the cold water inlet pipe reaches almost to the bottom of the tank, the syphon effect would pull most of the water out when the pressure tank is drained.  That is what you suggested.  I could be wrong, but I prefer to err on the side of caution so I would invest the 3 seconds of my time to flip that breaker.
(07-29-2020, 03:04 AM)EightFingers Wrote: Air tank seems a little undersized.....

Not really. Depends on the yield and the pump. Some of the newer, higher pressure pumps only require a small pressure tank. Some a lot smaller than that one.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay