Filling deck railing.
Over time my deck rails, mitred together originally, shrunk and now there’s a gap. I layed in wood strips then filled with Minwax 2-part wood putty. But soon after the fill is cracking. The san diego sun is intense.

What works better?
Taller posts with top rails that butt into the posts. Top rail shrinkage along the width is the problem.
I used caulking but my rails are white stain.
Taller posts is interesting. But too late - I’m a homeowner. I guess I dont want to switch out the posts, now. Thanx
Can you put a cap on top?  

John
Wood moves.  Use a flexible caulk and paint to match.
(08-02-2020, 11:39 PM)brookbend Wrote: Taller posts is interesting. But too late - I’m a homeowner. I guess I dont want to switch out the posts, now. Thanx

Just a suggestion.

Cut the mitered ends off square to the edges of the post. Extend the post with a short cut off and cap it.
I bet automobile body filler would work. If I can get enough of it into small spaces and sand it nice. It certainly would be stable.
IMHO, filler would look worse.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

But car filler is stable. Can apply carpenter’s stick to match color