Ash tree coming down, worth milling?
Shamel ash from next door. I like the staing.

Attached Files Image(s)

(07-31-2020, 09:23 AM)mound Wrote: Ahh.. This one has been dead at least 3.   How high off the ground should they lie? Stack them on some other chunks of the felled tree just to keep air moving under them?

If it's still standing I'll bet it's still good inside.  A foot off the ground would be good, but anything is better than lying directly on the ground.  

I just milled an 18" ash tree today.  It had been lying in the mud since it was cut down last Fall.  About a quarter of it was missing from one end to the other; sort of a C shaped thing.  The bark was completely gone.  I thought it would be just awful inside.  What a pleasant surprise when I took the first cut and found this beautiful creamy wood inside; like it had just been cut down.  I got several beautiful live edge slabs out of it.  You just never really know.     

John
(07-31-2020, 02:14 PM)jteneyck Wrote: If it's still standing I'll bet it's still good inside.  A foot off the ground would be good, but anything is better than lying directly on the ground.  

I just milled an 18" ash tree today.  It had been lying in the mud since it was cut down last Fall.  About a quarter of it was missing from one end to the other; sort of a C shaped thing.  The bark was completely gone.  I thought it would be just awful inside.  What a pleasant surprise when I took the first cut and found this beautiful creamy wood inside; like it had just been cut down.  I got several beautiful live edge slabs out of it.  You just never really know.     

John

I would get it milled sooner than later.  Most sawyers would rather work with green wood anyway.

Maybe ash is different, but where I'm at a 3 yr old tree on the ground rots pretty quickly, pine trees are attacked by beetles in a matter of days.
(07-30-2020, 04:10 PM)jteneyck Wrote: That's correct.  A living white ash has a MC of only 45%.  Most others are mid 60's and up.  It's one of the few trees you can cut down, split, and throw into the woodstove w/o waiting.

John

splits real easy,too.
Around here (MO), Ash, whether standing dead, laying dead, or fresh cut green, if it isn't milled within 30-60 days, the yellow worms attack it and make it unusable for lumber.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-29-2020, 08:44 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Ash is an under appreciated wood; rather surprising considering how easy it is to dry, how strong it is, and how attractive it is both natural and stained.  

John

Whenever I get a piece I love turning it.  I made two bowls from a piece I got and dyed the outside of them.  One red and the other green and they came out fantastic.  Shows the grain very nicely.  So if you mill any that is 12/4 or 16/4 you can make some nice bowls or even if it is 10/4 nice platters to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.