Hello and Projects
Photo 
Hello All.

Hope this post finds you safe and well where ever you are. I've been a long time lurker and non poster here but thought I'd say hello and share some projects knocked out during lockdown (we didn't have a proper lockdown here thankfully, but had a few solid months of home time only venturing out for food, toilet paper, and timber)

Hand tools mostly, with a little help from drill press, band saw, track saw and router when i have to.

Bedside table - Tassie oak outer, Tassie oak burl veneer to the drawer front, and pine drawer sides and back. Unfortunately my bed has two sides so I have to make another one.

Marking gauge made out of some scraps.

Compact thwacker made out of Karri roof tile batten offcuts

Headphone stand made out of meranti with black japan stain and hard wax oil finish

BBQ cart - painted treated pine and oiled merbau. 99% done just before lockdown

and currently on the workbench is a stool to accompany a dressing table I made a little while ago.

(07-30-2020, 08:54 AM)AlistairD Wrote: Hello All.

Hope this post finds you safe and well where ever you are. I've been a long time lurker and non poster here but thought I'd say hello and share some projects knocked out during lockdown (we didn't have a proper lockdown here thankfully, but had a few solid months of home time only venturing out for food, toilet paper, and timber)

Hand tools mostly, with a little help from drill press, band saw, track saw and router when i have to.

Bedside table - Tassie oak outer, Tassie oak burl veneer to the drawer front, and pine drawer sides and back. Unfortunately my bed has two sides so I have to make another one.

Headphone stand made out of meranti with black japan stain and hard wax oil finish

and currently on the workbench is a stool to accompany a dressing table I made a little while ago.

Nice work!  Given that I don't recognize some of the woods you mentioned, I assume you're not in the US.  If so, where are you from?
Dumber than I appear
Welcome and very nice work.

I might have to borrow that head phone stand from you.
(07-30-2020, 08:54 AM)AlistairD Wrote: Hello All.

Very nice work, and welcome to the forum!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Welcome!

Nice projects... thanks for sharing
I reckon Alastair is from my home town
Smile

Karri, indeed! It was used for roofing when Jarrah was not available.

Welcome Alastair
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Nice Projects indeed! Welcome from Southern Kalifornia
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Cheers guys

Dumb_Polack, no not in the US. Perth Western Australia. Our local timbers are Jarrah, Karri, and Marri. Jarrah is beautiful but needs much elbow grease to work. Karri is harder than Jarrah and not as nice I don't think. It historically was used for heavy construction - bridges and the like. Makes a good mallet though. And I'm not a big fan of Marri as it has a lot of dominant gum veining. Much prefer the look and workability of Tasmanian Oak - a eucalypt from Tasmania and Victoria. The other woods shown - Meranti - south east asian timber that's nice to work but very bland appearance so used a lot for interior joinery work that won't be seen or will be painted, and Merbau is an oily tanin rich south east asian timber with great outdoor durability

Cheers stav. I would encourage you to make one
Smile

Thanks Aram. Good to be making some contribution.

Cheers BpB123.

Spot on Derek!

Cheers Curt. Hello form Western Australia
Welcome to WoodNet!!

Great work!

Cool
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(07-30-2020, 08:19 PM)AlistairD Wrote: Cheers guys

Dumb_Polack, no not in the US. Perth Western Australia. Our local timbers are Jarrah, Karri, and Marri. Jarrah is beautiful but needs much elbow grease to work. Karri is harder than Jarrah and not as nice I don't think. It historically was used for heavy construction - bridges and the like. Makes a good mallet though. And I'm not a big fan of Marri as it has a lot of dominant gum veining. Much prefer the look and workability of Tasmanian Oak - a eucalypt from Tasmania and Victoria. The other woods shown - Meranti - south east asian timber that's nice to work but very bland appearance so used a lot for interior joinery work that won't be seen or will be painted, and Merbau is an oily tanin rich south east asian timber with great outdoor durability

Cheers stav. I would encourage you to make one
Smile

Thanks Aram. Good to be making some contribution.

Cheers BpB123.

Spot on Derek!

Cheers Curt. Hello form Western Australia

Alistair

Here is some gumless Marri .... 

[Image: Kist_html_m143e34e7.jpg]

... actually, it was filled with gum veins and I cut around them, then had a hellava time matching the figure in this fiddleback Marri.

Where about in Perth are you? I am in Rossmoyne (south of the River).

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com