What color shellac flakes for sapele?
I'm working on a small cabinet, mostly made from different sapele boards. My preference for this project is a simple shellac and wax finish. No dyes or stains, please. I'm not sure what color shellac flakes to get. You can get an idea of the various colors of the boards in my build-along thread. The tones range from fairly deep red-brown ribbon-stripe, to fairly light and unfigured, to medium brown with more figure (drawer fronts). 

Cabinet build

I'm low on shellac flakes anyway, so this is a good time to buy. I don't mind trying 2 or maybe 3 shellac colors on scraps, even if it means buying flakes I might not use. At the moment, i have a small supply of ultra blonde, dark garnet, orange/amber, and orange. 

Any best-guess suggestions? Again, I will be buying flakes and mixing my own.

Thanks,
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Partial to garnet on sapelle.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(07-31-2020, 08:52 PM)Rob Young Wrote: Partial to garnet on sapelle.

Thank you.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site