Bowl Video
Hello Everyone. I've been away for a while, mainly due to the disruption of life these days... during this year.

I've been turning much more this year ... huh ... I wonder why
Smirk

I thought I'd share a video I made recently. It's a lidded bowl and the video is meant to entertain, but if I do something you can learn from, all the better. The entire video is 4x speed. No narration, just music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiuZ1L_w...r9c8S7nbZE
Joe,
Interesting vid, thanks! Also thanks for the 4x speed, I'm not the most patient guy around to watch the entire process.

I didn't understand the finish mix--is it 2# shellac with 15% something else? What did you fill the crack with? How long did it take to cure? About how long did the entire process take?

Thanks again for posting, g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(08-02-2020, 12:39 PM)shoottmx Wrote: Joe,
Interesting vid, thanks! Also thanks for the 4x speed, I'm not the most patient guy around to watch the entire process.

I didn't understand the finish mix--is it 2# shellac with 15% something else? What did you fill the crack with? How long did it take to cure? About how long did the entire process take?

Thanks again for posting,  g

g, 

I'm glad you enjoyed the video. The finish is shellac mixed with Boiled Linseed Oil. I mix my own shellac. Usually around a 2 pound cut. Boiled linseed oil is added because it provides lubrication while applying the shellac on the piece while the piece is spinning. I usually make my mix around 15% boiled linseed oil (BLO) and 85% of 2lb shellac. This type of finish is common and goes by a couple of names. It's called "friction polish" or "OB Shine Juice". The proportions don't seem that critical to me. As long as the shellac isn't hardening before you remove the applicator (a small piece of a paper towel in my case). It is potentially dangerous to use a cotton rag, (cotton rag may wrap a finger and injure/remove a finger), so a piece of a paper towel is recommended.

The crack is relatively easy to fill with the metal powder. First, I apply shellac around the area (both sides) to prevent staining, which was shown in the video. Then use masking tape on the reverse side of the crack, then carefully add the powder to the crack and tap/vibrate the piece, so the powder finds it way down well. Keep adding until filled. Then add thin CA glue (aka superglue) one drop at a time, until the area is saturated. 

Usually I let the CA glue cure overnight, but I suppose a couple of hours is all that's needed. Depends also on how much powder and how wide a crack is. When I remove the tape, there may be a need to add a little powder on that side as well and add glue. Depends on the particular piece. It's not a long labor, just have to give it time to cure. It took only 8 or 10 minutes or so, to add the metal to that piece in the video. It took another 8 or 10 minutes to fill the bottom knot as well.
Thanks,
I'm a rookie so wasn't aware of the home brew that must be essentislly the Behlen's wood finish I've used. It sure gives you a super finish on a good looking bowl. Thanks for the explanation on crack filling, I guess it depends on personal taste as to whether to enhance the crack as you did or conceal it as would likely be my choice.

Thanks for taking time to make and post the video as well as answer my questions

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(08-02-2020, 04:34 PM)shoottmx Wrote: Thanks,
I'm a rookie so wasn't aware of the home brew that must be essentislly the Behlen's wood finish I've used. It sure gives  you a super finish on a good looking bowl. Thanks for the explanation on crack filling, I guess it depends on personal taste as to whether to enhance the crack as you did or conceal it as would likely be my choice.

Thanks for taking time to make and post the video as well as answer my questions

g
Glad to help, where I can. 
Smile ETA: Thanks for getting back to me too. Usually, I never hear anything afterwards.