Nova G2/ Griz G0733 spindle fit
Bought a new G2 30th anniversary chuck kit for my 733. It is threaded 1 1/4"-8, there is no insert in the chuck. The chuck will not thread all the way onto the spindle. The spindle measures 1.260" OD while the bore on the chuck is 1.250" ID. The only other reference I have is an Easy Wood face plate that measures 1.290"

Does anyone have a clue as to which one is out of spec?

Thanks,  g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Just a thought, but, there isn't a "set" screw in the collar of the chuck prohibiting anything, is there?
(08-02-2020, 02:12 PM)MidwestMan Wrote: Just a thought, but, there isn't a "set" screw in the collar of the chuck prohibiting anything, is there?

Not a thought, since he says it's threaded 1 1/4, no insert.  I guess it's washer time.  Unless they'll let you return for a chuck with a better fit.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(08-02-2020, 02:12 PM)MidwestMan Wrote: Just a thought, but, there isn't a "set" screw in the collar of the chuck prohibiting anything, is there?

You made me think, I just double checked, there's no set screw in the hole. I'd have been just a little embarrassed had that been the case. Thanks for the reply,

g

This and also measure how deep the threads go in the chuck and the headstock.  If there is a difference then a large washer type will be needed.  It can be a soft metal plate that is 3" high so the chuck back sets back against it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(08-02-2020, 06:37 PM)shoottmx Wrote: You made me think, I just double checked, there's no set screw in the hole. I'd have been just a little embarrassed had that been the case. Thanks for the reply,

g

The only reason I mentioned it, is because it's something I'd do. 
Smirk
That aint right, if it"s new, call somebody
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

(08-03-2020, 07:01 PM)AnthonyYak Wrote: That aint right, if it"s new, call somebody

+1

I would start with Griz if their 1-1/4"x8 spindle measures 1.26"

also, what happens if you turn the chuck around and put it on backwards?

I don't know how close the threads come to the front of a G2 chuck, but it could be telling if the spindle threads go all the way through the G2.

It can be hard to check, but, if you have a small inspection mirror, it might be worth checking the chuck threads for a damaged spot or a burr in the thread where it stops threading on.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Resolved!

I emailed Teknatool and Grizzly yesterday am hoping to find out which part is out of spec. So far no response from Griz, got this from Teknatool:

You have the SN2 chuck that is 1 1/4 x 8tpi and your Grizzly is the same. You have a couple of options: 

1. You can exchange the chuck for a new one to see if it's the chuck that's the issue
2. Buying an insert type chuck and an insert to fit your lathe.  

One would think that someone could pull up the drawing and tell me what the diameter should be. Go figure.

Well, frig. It's an 80 mile round trip to exchange at Rockler without any guarantee a different chuck would fit so I called the store hoping to get someone to measure a chuck (or two) so we could compare. Two different folks tried to help but neither had any experience measuring with calipers so that was an exercise in frustration for all three of us.

Took the chuck apart and took the body to a retired machinist that has a nice little machine shop in his garage. He chucked the body up in his metal lathe and opened the bore to 1.275" while I waited. He charged me $20. I gave him $30.

Came home & spun her on the spindle, right up to the shoulder. Just like it's supposed to do. Most satisfying $30 I've spent lately.

g

Glad you found an answer. It must be great to have a machinist nearby, that can help at a reasonable cost.