Million Dollar workshop
I saw it a couple weeks back. He does mention that he has an employee who helps keep things clean and organized and he has been working on it for 20 or so years. Based on some of the stuff, it seems like he probably has a fairly large custom home/cabinetry company with more than a couple people working out of that shop. There certainly is a level of vanity in it.

It is rather impressive and he seems like a good dude. It is all relative. Some think I am crazy for what my 2 car garage looks like.

There is a lot of truth about the shop becoming the hobby. I used to think down on that idea but now I can relate... The blade drawer on its own was a couple k worth of stuff and more blades than anyone would ever use in any sort of production shop.
-brew
Makes my shop look pretty pathetic.  I think it would drive me crazy because there is so much stuff in it though. For example, is that giant table really worth the space?  

I'm spending time working on my shop right now because it was such a mess that it's hard to get anything done. Everything needs to have a place, or it just is in the way.  But I'm not exactly doing any decorative woodworking for it.

I think you can have a clean shop as long as you stay on top of it.  My DC wasn't working that well and now there is sawdust everywhere, but I'm getting that cleaned up and I fixed the DC. Some people clean up at the end of every work session.  I try to do that, my mother used to insist on it when I did anything for her.  Job's not done until the cleanup is done.
Holy cow!  He's got at least 2 of everything.  I stopped counting how many buffer / grinder motors he had.  I think he needs more clamps and more saw blades. 
Laugh  I also thought it was interesting that he marked FWS on everything.  Like someone's going to come in there and steal all his tools.  If he's got that much invested in his workshop, I'm thinking it's got security alarms. Then again, he just advertised to the world everything he has on YouTube.

I wonder how much time he spent making all the exotic storage stuff and jigs vs. actually working on projects.  About the only projects he showed aside from the workshop were some turnings.  I'll give him credit for being super-organized.  I think he could get rid of half the tools and still not lack for tools.  He's gotta be retired to invest that much time in the shop.

I want to be one of the people bidding at the estate sale, but I suspect he'll outlive me.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
There is another video where he says it is just his hobby shop and he is the only one to work out of it aside from the guy who helps keep it organized and clean. That makes zero sense when you look at how the shop is set up with multiple work areas, tool check out boards, multiple of the same tools etc.

He also says he and his helper spent 2 weeks cleaning and organizing prior to filming the tour.
-brew
(08-05-2020, 06:53 AM)AHill Wrote: I want to be one of the people bidding at the estate sale, but I suspect he'll outlive me.
I had similar dark thoughts, although I am not interested in buying.  When I thought a little more, this is far better than the estate sales where it's just a huge number of unused tools in a large, unfinished space. Which is pretty common.  

Making a space like this is a pretty fulfilling hobby, I'd guess.  Even if you barely produce anything out of it.  I am really glad I built my bench, for example. Then again, I have used that a lot for all sorts of things.
As marvelous as it's, the shop would be lacking three things if it belonged to me -

1 - hand tools and tool cabinets
2 - more benchtop space given the size of the shop and
3 - those little tracking gadgets so I could tag them to the many things that I probably wouldn't remember where I last put them!
Laugh
Yes

I felt relieved after watching the video that I have only a small shop to maintain (not to mention the fact that I'll have a much easier job to do to liquidate my shop belongings when the day comes
Wink ).

Simon
(08-05-2020, 06:53 AM)AHill Wrote: Holy cow!  He's got at least 2 of everything.  I stopped counting how many buffer / grinder motors he had.  I think he needs more clamps and more saw blades. 
Laugh  I also thought it was interesting that he marked FWS on everything.  Like someone's going to come in there and steal all his tools.  If he's got that much invested in his workshop, I'm thinking it's got security alarms.  Then again, he just advertised to the world everything he has on YouTube.

I wonder how much time he spent making all the exotic storage stuff and jigs vs. actually working on projects.  About the only projects he showed aside from the workshop were some turnings.  I'll give him credit for being super-organized.  I think he could get rid of half the tools and still not lack for tools.  He's gotta be retired to invest that much time in the shop.

I want to be one of the people bidding at the estate sale, but I suspect he'll outlive me.

I also thought it was interesting that he marked FWS on everything.

Did you ever watch any of Jimmy DiResta's videos????? He has his name on everything!!!!!
Winkgrin
Laugh
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I think DiResta does it to so you remember his brand and keep coming back to watch his videos. At least that is what I get out of it. Not sure if that is the motivation for the owner of this shop.
I stopped watching Diresta because of that. Stupid reason but it just annoyed me.
-brew
He stated that he did commercial remodels, he probably has to tag all his equipment so his laborers don't mistake the item for theirs... I'm sure that habit just proceeded him to his shop. Additionally you could tell from the video with the amount of ladders he has, the "personal" shop is also storage for some of his commercial items.... Using the shop for both personal and commercial work has some added tax benefits, I'm sure...
Well, Bye...