Wood Storage - Vertical v. Horizontal
I've done both. Anything over 8' I prefer to lay it down.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Thanks all. Decided to repurpose a shed on the property for mass storage horizontal and will bring what I need into the shop for projects and store vertical to save space. This also freed up a lot of what has been my wood storage room. Wish I could say I thought of it, but was speaking with my wife last night about what people were saying and her response was “Why don’t you just . . .” And the new plan was born.
(08-10-2020, 07:38 AM)jcredding Wrote: Thanks all.  Decided to repurpose a shed on the property for mass storage horizontal and will bring what I need into the shop for projects and store vertical to save space.  This also freed up a lot of what has been my wood storage room.  Wish I could say I thought of it, but was speaking with my wife last night about what people were saying and her response was “Why don’t you just . . .” And the new plan was born.

Glad you came up with a plan.

LOML is way more organized than I am.  I often drag her over to the shop, tell her what I need/want, and then she comes up with ideas.  She's pretty good at it.
Never hurts to have a fresh pair of eyes look at a problem!
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(08-10-2020, 07:38 AM)jcredding Wrote: Thanks all.  Decided to repurpose a shed on the property for mass storage horizontal and will bring what I need into the shop for projects and store vertical to save space.  This also freed up a lot of what has been my wood storage room.  Wish I could say I thought of it, but was speaking with my wife last night about what people were saying and her response was “Why don’t you just . . .” And the new plan was born.

I took a very similar approach except I had to build the shed.  The wood racks I built are adjustable in height.  You can stack wood in the traditional way or you can stack boards on edge.  

[Image: ACtC-3d4Wt0h5K864pgnHn2agiLN8NA75mzePfJs...authuser=0]

Racking the lumber on edge makes it much easier to pull out any board of interest and if you adjust the shelf spacing and group boards of the same width you don't lose much storage capacity over horizontal racking.  As you can see, however, I'm not always so diligent so there's a mix of vertical and horizontal racking.  Anyway, just thought I'd pass that along.  

John
I like that on edge arrangement.

Simon