Project complete-thanks for the help
I was repairing a 100 yr old folding screen and sought forum help on what material to use. I finally decided on double strength cardboard but it didn't work out. It was six feet tall--but folded in the middle, so I got a couple of sheets of 1/4" masonite from a local supplier. Turns out the thickness shrinkage that has affected all of our plywood has spread to masonite. It was just a hair over 3/16" thick, but I decided to use it anyway. It worked fine. Wallpapering it on both sides helped. Anyway I promised I would show the finished product so here it is before and after:

I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
Good job that came out good
Very nice! I built a three-panel screen 10 or so years ago and they can be a challenge.
Nice job, Papa Jim! Looks great!
(08-09-2020, 10:43 AM)Papa Jim Wrote: I was repairing a 100 yr old folding screen and sought forum help on what material to use. I finally decided on double strength cardboard but it didn't work out. It was six feet tall--but folded in the middle, so I got a couple of sheets of 1/4" masonite from a local supplier. Turns out the thickness shrinkage that has affected all of our plywood has spread to masonite. It was just a hair over 3/16" thick, but I decided to use it anyway. It worked fine. Wallpapering it on both sides helped. Anyway I promised I would show the finished product so here it is before and after:

Very nice job, indeed - I like the color you chose! I too recently had the same experience trying to buy 4x8 sheets of 1/4" masonite at the big box stores. Neither Home Depot or Lowe's stocks it anymore (only had 1/8"). I had to buy it at another local supplier that is notoriously high, and then it was as you said, 3/16"+. Paid through the nose because I had to have it, unfortunately.

Doug
(08-09-2020, 11:06 PM)Tapper Wrote: Very nice job, indeed - I like the color you chose! I too recently had the same experience trying to buy 4x8 sheets of 1/4" masonite at the big box stores. Neither Home Depot or Lowe's stocks it anymore (only had 1/8"). I had to buy it at another local supplier that is notoriously high, and then it was as you said, 3/16"+. Paid through the nose because I had to have it, unfortunately.

Doug

Yeah, it seems that the only true 1/4" ply is Baltic Birch and it's not available in 4 x 8 sheets in my area.
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
Looks great.

We've got a set of those in storage (in the shop
Rolleyes ).
Guess I better click off before she see's yours........
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020