Cancelled demo mini rant
One of the girls in the club and I were scheduled to to a co-demo in September for a club 2 1/2 hours away for her, 2 hours for me. 2 45 minute demos, $400 split between us. Our demos work well together, we've done a few collaborations together, she turns and paints flowers, I would be doing my dyeing demo. The president contact us last week, due to the pandemic, wanted us to do a Zoom demo at another shop an hour closer for $200 split. We said, no thanks. Here's my point, in addition to the drive time and the demo time I have about 5 hrs prep time plus moving my equipment and tearing my shop apart. She has about 3 hrs prep time plus getting tools together. I post this because I want folks to understand there is more to club demos than the drive and the demo. Below is one of our collaborations.

Attached Files Image(s)

If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

That sounds down-right insulting.

If you both have the bandwidth, how about $450 split between you to do collaborative demo with each of you in your own shop. Extra money due to cost of setting up Zoom.

Remember to include who owns the demo recordings when you do the negotiations.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(08-09-2020, 10:16 PM)AnthonyYak Wrote: One of the girls in the club and I were scheduled to to a co-demo in September for a club 2 1/2 hours away for her, 2 hours for me. 2 45 minute demos, $400 split between us. Our demos work well together, we've done a few collaborations together, she turns and paints flowers, I would be doing my dyeing demo. The president contact us last week, due to the pandemic, wanted us to do a Zoom demo at another shop an hour closer for $200 split. We said, no thanks. Here's my point, in addition to the drive time and the demo time I have about 5 hrs prep time plus moving my equipment and tearing my shop apart. She has about 3 hrs prep time plus getting tools together. I post this because I want folks to understand there is more to club demos than the drive and the demo. Below is one of our collaborations.

Ahhhh stop whining and get turning. 
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

I just hope I can get my own camera without borrowing my daughters for the last 6+ years.  I know for sure if we get the next stimulus check I want to get a video camera so I can do some YouTube for encouraging disabled people to turn and safety and taking care of themselves that came with MS DVD maker and Windows live movie maker what else do I need???
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I hear you and fully agree with you.
I had a wagon burning raid planned for the Texas Hill Country. Had the war lance ready, couple of extra head knockers, horses fresh and rarin' to go, paint on...
...and they called me asked me to postpone it due to COVID 19, asked me to send a video of Custer's Last Stand instead.

NOPE!

We have our ethics, ya know. And a union. UWG of A.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
(08-09-2020, 10:16 PM)AnthonyYak Wrote: One of the girls in the club and I were scheduled to to a co-demo in September for a club 2 1/2 hours away for her, 2 hours for me. 2 45 minute demos, $400 split between us. Our demos work well together, we've done a few collaborations together, she turns and paints flowers, I would be doing my dyeing demo. The president contact us last week, due to the pandemic, wanted us to do a Zoom demo at another shop an hour closer for $200 split. We said, no thanks. Here's my point, in addition to the drive time and the demo time I have about 5 hrs prep time plus moving my equipment and tearing my shop apart. She has about 3 hrs prep time plus getting tools together. I post this because I want folks to understand there is more to club demos than the drive and the demo. Below is one of our collaborations.

Well, there might be a compromise here. 

Doing the math based on your figures, you have 4 hours of travel to and from, 1.5 for demos, 5 hours of prep, total of 10.5 hours; at the original price your $200 share (not including gas, or hassle of moving/tearing shop apart) nets you $19/hr. 

As there is no real reason you can't do it from your own shops if you are zooming, why not counter that you can zoom from your shop, she can zoom from hers, so no travel, you have the 5 hours prep and 1.5 hours of demo, and you charge $250, 6.5 hours and your $125 yields you the $19/hr and you don't have to tear up your shop.  Or, she can come to your shop so you do it together.

This is presuming you have whatever cameras, etc (I'm not sure what you need) that are required to zoom such a presentation, or the president sends over a person with the cameras.

This could be a win-win.  And if you record the zoom, you could replicate for another club, playing the demo and then doing a Q&A afterwards for 30 minutes, that would be 2 hours or so and you could do that and split $125, netting you $30+/hr.

This covid thing presents opportunities that could be attractive, both to the clubs (cheaper) and the presenters (more remunerative).  Just a thought, as I spend more than two thirds of my workday on video conference calls (my company uses the more robust Microsoft Teams and Cisco Webex) and its not half bad.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Of course I agree that $200 is $200 too little.

BUT, that vessel and flowers is amazing!