circular saw conundrum
Question 
In the next couple of weeks I need to cut an old pool table slate into two or three pieces.

Diamond blade in circular saw is my best bet but that brings us to the problem
Rolleyes

I have three circular saws: Craftsman that doesn't work (surprise
Rolleyes ) Black and Decker that works but is pretty lightweight and a Milwaukee 6377 that needs a new worm gear ( bought it cheap since it needed work)

So here's the problem -- do I bite the bullet and buy a new saw?  If so, worm drive or not?  I will only use it rarely, but I have a bad case of "Timitis" -- more power is always better
Laugh

I think the parts for the Milwaukee would be under $75 plus my own labor.

"Standard" circular saw ~$125, worm drives ~$180

I may make a pass through a local pawn shop tomorrow
Laugh

What thinks the "brain trust"?

Confused
Confused
Confused
Confused
Confused
Confused
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I'd look into fixing the Milwaukee if you can or watch Craigslist for a throw away maybe.
(08-10-2020, 05:41 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: In the next couple of weeks I need to cut an old pool table slate into two or three pieces.

Diamond blade in circular saw is my best bet but that brings us to the problem
Rolleyes

I have three circular saws: Craftsman that doesn't work (surprise
Rolleyes ) Black and Decker that works but is pretty lightweight and a Milwaukee 6377 that needs a new worm gear ( bought it cheap since it needed work)

So here's the problem -- do I bite the bullet and buy a new saw?  If so, worm drive or not?  I will only use it rarely, but I have a bad case of "Timitis" -- more power is always better
Laugh

I think the parts for the Milwaukee would be under $75 plus my own labor.

"Standard" circular saw ~$125, worm drives ~$180

I may make a pass through a local pawn shop tomorrow
Laugh

What thinks the "brain trust"?

Confused
Confused
Confused
Confused
Confused
Confused

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a tracksaw.
I've cut hundreds of concrete pavers and dozens of yards of concrete expansion cracks with a diamond blade in a cheap old weak skillsaw I had.    Slate is softer then concrete.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I am biased, love Milwaukee tools.  My "good" saw is a Milwaukee (not a worm) heavy, and high amp.  I would never use it on concrete or slate (too much hard dust).  I have an old heavy duty DeWalt set up with the diamond blade and it has cut hundreds of feet.

I am seventy five, there are no long, hard days ahead of me, but if I had the tools you mentioned, I would want a good reliable circular saw in the arsenal. 

Get you a new or almost new Milwaukee, you will not regret it.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I wouldn't put a good wood saw down for that job.

Go buy a 40.00 throwaway saw and get-er-done
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

What about just renting something that will do the job? (Then fix the Milwaukee for you to use on wood.)
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-11-2020, 05:17 AM)fredhargis Wrote: What about just renting something that will do the job? (Then fix the Milwaukee for you to use on wood.)

not in my little town
Rolleyes
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Given the saws, and their conditions as you described, here's what I would do:

Step 1.  Throw away the not-working C-man.  It's not worth the waste of precious gravity.

Step 2.  Put a diamond blade on the B&D and cut the slate.  If it burns up, who cares?  It can be replaced with another $20 cheapie for the next cr***y job quickly enough.

Step 3.  Fix the Milwaukee.
I have picked up 2 7-1/4" worm drive circular saws from CL, 1 Milwaukee and 1 Skil, each at $25. Changed the oil in each, and now have a dedicated masonry saw (mounted a dry diamond blade) and a near bullet-proof saw for my wood butchery. 
Keep your eyes open on both Letgo and OfferUp as well...