vertical drawers
I'm building an assembly table that will have LOTS of storage. I want to add a couple of vertical drawers for part of my hoped for organizing. Can anyone share a link to plans or tips for the construction of this type of drawer. Plus, what are options for drawer slides?

As always, looking to reap the benefit of your collective wisdom and experience. Thanks for any time you can share on this.
Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist
Aspiring amateur woodworker
Completed a rough cabinet for under the tablesaw extension to reclaim some wasted space.  I wanted to put all the "saw stuff" in it and pull that stuff out of the shop cabinets.  As part of the saw, I wanted the ability to store blades and the dado stack.  Kind of made it up as I went along.  This is how it is:

I just used regular drawer slides on each side.  I made a "drawer box" then flipped it vertical, added two pieces of ply along the new-orientation bottom, and mounted that.

It's simple, but it's not exactly straight.  Rubs just a bit when I close the door.  Fortunately, I don't have OCD tendencies regarding shop furniture!
(08-11-2020, 03:53 PM)WxMan Wrote: Completed a rough cabinet for under the tablesaw extension to reclaim some wasted space.  I wanted to put all the "saw stuff" in it and pull that stuff out of the shop cabinets.  As part of the saw, I wanted the ability to store blades and the dado stack.  Kind of made it up as I went along.  This is how it is:

I just used regular drawer slides on each side.  I made a "drawer box" then flipped it vertical, added two pieces of ply along the new-orientation bottom, and mounted that.

It's simple, but it's not exactly straight.  Rubs just a bit when I close the door.  Fortunately, I don't have OCD tendencies regarding shop furniture!

Could you have added one more slide near the top for stability?  I have a similar application coming up and I would be interested.  The special hardware for this is very pricey, so if it can be done with standard hardware it would be a big plus.

Or even two slides on one side; one near the bottom and one near the top.  And no slides on the other side.  Would that work?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(08-11-2020, 03:53 PM)WxMan Wrote: Completed a rough cabinet for under the tablesaw extension to reclaim some wasted space.  I wanted to put all the "saw stuff" in it and pull that stuff out of the shop cabinets.  As part of the saw, I wanted the ability to store blades and the dado stack.  Kind of made it up as I went along.  This is how it is:

That is exactly what I hoped could be accomplished. And you just reminded me that table saw stuff needs to be one of the drawers I'm going to need. And thanks for the data that regular drawer slides can work. Looked some slides that were for "pantry" drawers in a kitchen and they are stupid expensive. Maybe my shop stuff isn't as heavy. Appreciate the pics too!
Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist
Aspiring amateur woodworker
I built a spice rack in the kitchen, same type design as the above saw cabinet.
I used bb slides. One on top, one on bottom.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I know I typed up a response the other day to your questions, Cooler, but now they're not there, so I must have screwed up the posting of it.

One more slide near the top:  Maybe, but I think that wold be a bear to align.

One regular slide on top middle and one slide on bottom middle probably easier and definitely doable.

Two slide on one side top and bottom:  Doable, but I really wanted to keep near-clear access to both sides.  Now, if you had need for greate side-to-side space, it might favor that kind of arrangement.

The ply in the middle of the drawer is 3/4" ply; dadoed into the box sides.  I wrestled with how to put in pegs to hand the blades on, then remembered I had stashed 100 salvaged 3/8 bolts that were 2 1/2 inches long, and I had matching nuts.  I countersunk the nut into one side and the head side of the bolt (if that makes sense) provide the "stop" on the end to keep the blades from sliding off.