Butternut
I have a chance to pick up some 2x6 rough sawn butternut for a $1 a board foot. I do mostly segmented work using different species to create the pattern. Is it wrth buying or would the light wood not create eneough of a contrast to other woods? Thanks for your replies in advance.
(08-13-2020, 03:27 PM)Turner52 Wrote: I have a chance to pick up some 2x6 rough sawn butternut for a $1 a board foot. I do mostly segmented work using different species to create the  pattern. Is it wrth buying or would the light wood not create eneough of a contrast to other woods? Thanks for your replies in advance.

No experience with butternut yet, but I would expect that it would be nice with a layer of dark veneer between butternut blocks.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Without seeing and no experience with Butternut at $1. /board foot would buy a lot! Hard to say without seeing Butternut wood and what other species of wood want to use until laying wood side by side.
https://www.wood-database.com/butternut/
Bill
Closest mill to me has butternut Select & Better at $6.15/bf for 1" thick (100+ bf price). I'm with Bill--for that money i'd likely buy more than i meant to unless it's totally ratty.
earl
(08-13-2020, 03:27 PM)Turner52 Wrote: I have a chance to pick up some 2x6 rough sawn butternut for a $1 a board foot. I do mostly segmented work using different species to create the  pattern. Is it wrth buying or would the light wood not create eneough of a contrast to other woods? Thanks for your replies in advance.

Butternut is a very soft wood .(Great for carving) mixing it with hardwoods can cause problems
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Only thing I know about the piece I had and made into a vase is that it does not take a polish well.  I put a lot of shellac on it and the wood soaked it up wanting more and more and more and maybe after 10 coats I did a friction polish and it still did not polish up well. 
I did not try lacquer tho.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I don’t know about using Butternut for turning.
I’ve used it with Black Walnut in a table—I called it ‘mixed nuts’. Butternut for the aprons.

Can I get some of that?!?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
It's located about 35miles north of Green Bay. If that works for you I will try to find the info for you. I deided to pass after seeing the advice here.
(08-14-2020, 08:18 AM)Woodshop Wrote: Butternut is a very soft wood .(Great for carving) mixing it with hardwoods can cause problems

Years ago I was buying some wood from a local guy here.  He threw in a couple logs of what he said was butternut.  He said he wasn't going to do anything with it.  I remember it as being a creamy white.  very soft.  Easy to turn but not ideal for turning.  What I had had fairly large pores, like Red Oak, so it needs a sharp tool and then sealed before finishing.