Repetitive cross cuts with a sliding table: Feed stock from the right?
I need to break down an 8-foot 2x4 into 12" lengths. I would like to do it on my table saw with a sliding table and the stops set at 12"

To do so, I would have to remove the rip fence and feed the stock from the right, using a helper support the stock as it slides through the blade. 

Is this a viable option or is it unsafe?

Should I use my chop saw instead?

Thanks in advance,

- Ray
First off, I would probably use my RAS with a stop placed at the desired length of cut.

With that being said, I would tackle that task on a table saw by referencing the rip fence on the right of the blade and using the sliding table (on the left) for the crosscut. Essentially, I would clamp a 1" thick piece of stock on the rip fence well prior to the blade. I would set the rip fence at the desired length of cut + 1" (in your case 13"). I would then reference that block with the stock I was cutting prior to processing each cut with the sliding table. The cut-off in each cut is the desired length. This allows the bulk of the stock to be on the sliding table fence for easier more reliable processing. Hope that makes sense.

OH and BTW you will still need to decide how to deal with that last piece of stock... in your case, it would be scrap because it would 12" minus the kerf of all the previous cuts.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
I do this frequently, but I feed the stock from the left, which is where the slider wagon is situated.

You can use the rip fence to hold a stop block, which will act as the depth stop when you lay the board across the crosscut fence.

[Image: CA0-E5-AEE-BE2-E-4-AC2-8-A32-57531-C809-B69.png]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Cut it in half or thirds first, then cut your 12" pieces.
No need for a helper.
(08-15-2020, 11:44 AM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: First off, I would probably use my RAS with a stop placed at the desired length of cut.

With that being said, I would tackle that task on a table saw by referencing the rip fence on the right of the blade and using the sliding table (on the left) for the crosscut. Essentially, I would clamp a 1" thick piece of stock on the rip fence well prior to the blade. I would set the rip fence at the desired length of cut + 1" (in your case 13"). I would then reference that block with the stock I was cutting prior to processing each cut with the sliding table. The cut-off in each cut is the desired length. This allows the bulk of the stock to be on the sliding table fence for easier more reliable processing. Hope that makes sense.

OH and BTW you will still need to decide how to deal with that last piece of stock... in your case, it would be scrap because it would 12" minus the kerf of all the previous cuts.

That's exactly what I did.  And yes, I did account for the scrap.

Thanks!
(08-15-2020, 01:16 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I do this frequently, but I feed the stock from the left, which is where the slider wagon is situated.

You can use the rip fence to hold a stop block, which will act as the depth stop when you lay the board across the crosscut fence.

[Image: CA0-E5-AEE-BE2-E-4-AC2-8-A32-57531-C809-B69.png]

Regards from Perth

Derek

That's what I did.  Thanks!  Nice saw, BTW.
It really sounds like a chop saw would be ideal for this.  You don't have one?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(08-17-2020, 11:28 AM)Cooler Wrote: It really sounds like a chop saw would be ideal for this.  You don't have one?

I do have one.

I just wanted to fire up my new Saw Stop on its maiden voyage.

I fed from the left with my son as a helper and it worked out fine.