garage door problems
I have been struggling with a garage door that would open about a foot then stop. I thought it was the garage door opener and have tightened the very loose chain. I also lubed all the hinges on the door. This morning when I opened the door I noticed door shock at the point where it stopped. I investigated some more and notice something black squeezing out from between the panels of the door in the inside. The black stuff looks and feels like decomposed weather stripping. It is rubbery and sticky. I think when the door is down for a period of time this sticky stiff is holding the panels together and the shaking happens as the top panel breaks loose. What could this be? Because it is sticky it doesn't want to clean out well and it appears some is stuck to the upper panel at each joint. Do they actually put weather stripping between the panels? Any ideas how to clean it up with out dismantling the whole door?
Did you disconnect the opener and run the door up and down by "hand"? This will tell you if it's the door or opener. You can run the opener without the door attached. I had an issue once where the weatherstripping on the side of the door gut gummy, so I cleaned it and applied wax. I know this isn't your issue.
I agree disconnect the opener from the door and try it 1 of your springs may have broken
It is not the spring. That broke a couple years ago. I may have cleaned it up enough. I tried the door this morning and it didn't stick.
But what on earth is leaking from the panel?  Really has me curious.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
That is exactly what I am wondering about. It appears to be happening on every panel.
Is this a metal door or wood.  what brand is it. is it insulated
Metal insulated Wayne-Dalton
(08-15-2020, 06:27 PM)CEPenworks Wrote: I have been struggling with a garage door that would open about a foot then stop. I thought it was the garage door opener and have tightened the very loose chain. I also lubed all the hinges on the door. This morning when I opened the door I noticed door shock at the point where it stopped. I investigated some more and notice something black squeezing out from between the panels of the door in the inside. The black stuff looks and feels like decomposed weather stripping. It is rubbery and sticky. I think when the door is down for a period of time this sticky stiff is holding the panels together and the shaking happens as the top panel breaks loose. What could this be? Because it is sticky it doesn't want to clean out well and it appears some is stuck to the upper panel at each joint. Do they actually put weather stripping between the panels? Any ideas how to clean it up with out dismantling the whole door?

On the manufactures web site they show a black tube weather stripping attached to bottom of the panels.  I would contact Wayne Dalton and ask them.
 If you go to this LINK and go to documents, click on model 8500 and it will download a pdf with a image that shows the gasket between the panels.   They would be the best to advise as to what to use to remove the gasket that has melted.   I don't think you are the only one that has this issue.  Roly
The garage door stuck again this morning. Looks like I need to do more cleaning.