Old Craftsman saw angle tilt issue
I have a 1950's vintage 10" Craftsman table saw that won't tilt beyond 30*. I'm the third owner of this saw and have never torn it apart.  I wanted to make a French cleat with a 45* cut,  Won't go past 30*.  Am I correct in guessing I have an accumulation of all those years stopping the movement past 30*? Or is there some other issue I should be looking for?  Buying a new table saw is out of the question at my age.  But I would like to get this one to cut a 45* cut.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
(08-16-2020, 03:34 PM)stoppy Wrote: I have a 1950's vintage 10" Craftsman table saw that won't tilt beyond 30*. I'm the third owner of this saw and have never torn it apart.  I wanted to make a French cleat with a 45* cut,  Won't go past 30*.  Am I correct in guessing I have an accumulation of all those years stopping the movement past 30*? Or is there some other issue I should be looking for?  Buying a new table saw is out of the question at my age.  But I would like to get this one to cut a 45* cut.

That would be my first guess.  Get a flashlight and look around while changing the tilt.   Chances are the sawdust is packed in a circular slot that a pin or bolt rides in.     Roly
There could also be a build up of rust on the threads for the tilt mechanism.
And, if you can't get it fixed, you can make your French cleats with a 30 degree angle. They work just as well using a 30 degree angle as a 45 degree angle.
Rick W
(08-16-2020, 05:09 PM)RickW Wrote: And, if you can't get it fixed, you can make your French cleats with a 30 degree angle. They work just as well using a 30 degree angle as a 45 degree angle.
Rick W

The french cleat was to be for extension holders.  Sio instead of one long cleat I made four short cleats on the miter saw. Got the idea for the extension cord holder from YouTube vid from Paw Paw's workshop.  But thanks for the info just in case.
Jim

There is a good chance
I agree about looking at the threaded rod for junk.  I had that issue plus I also had the stop move on me.  Once I cleaned the rod and moved the stop had no issue.  I am about to check on it again because I have issues near 45 now.  Craftsman contractor saw.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
(08-17-2020, 01:17 AM)John Mihich Wrote: I agree about looking at the threaded rod for junk.  I had that issue plus I also had the stop move on me.  Once I cleaned the rod and moved the stop had no issue.  I am about to check on it again because I have issues near 45 now.  Craftsman contractor saw.

Looked at the rod with the blade insert removed, it is clogged with fine dust. Will be removing the top today to clean. While I have the top off I’m going to consider changing the bearings. We’ll see once I have the top off.
Jim

There is a good chance
DUMMY ME -- Blew all the dust out of it, didn't make any difference. Was just getting ready to tear it all apart, but tried it one more time. Watched real close for binding and saw the motor assembly as it neared 30* run into the lift handles. Once I removed the lift handle it went smoothly to 45*. Oh well, all the dust is out of it for now.
Jim

There is a good chance
Ha! Yes, that was the other option.  Look for anything that would block the motor.