Lawn Mower ???
(08-17-2020, 02:29 PM)Roly Wrote: Drain the carb bowl first, carefully to see if it has water or dirt in it.   Does it have a fuel filter on it to check ?  Roly

OK, I'll check to see if that's it.  I think it does have a fuel filter actually, and I can replace that, too.  I don't see how the problem would go away after the engine warms up if either of these were the problem, but they are easy enough to check/clean/replace.  

John
Update:

No water/dirt in the fuel bowl.  No filter in the fuel line.  I checked the air vane and all the linkages again and can't see anything wrong, but it still runs poorly for about 2 minutes then comes up to speed and runs great.  Hot restarts are perfect as well.  

I have not yet tried blowing out the EGR line, or at least what I take that hose to be for that comes into the back of the air filter housing.  

John
(08-19-2020, 09:22 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Update:

No water/dirt in the fuel bowl.  No filter in the fuel line.  I checked the air vane and all the linkages again and can't see anything wrong, but it still runs poorly for about 2 minutes then comes up to speed and runs great.  Hot restarts are perfect as well.  

I have not yet tried blowing out the EGR line, or at least what I take that hose to be for that comes into the back of the air filter housing.  

John

Hey John,

Which engine do you have? I have a tall wheel string trimmer that surges when the jet is clogged. I use a sewing needle to clear it.

check out this guy. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOI293d8XUg

Dave
When you don’t get what you want, you get experience!
I have a Toro PP mower about 10 yrs old that was hard starting and when it did run it ran like chit, I bought a $10 chiwanese carb from Amazon and now it starts on the first pull and runs great.
Im sure these are the same people that have said they got no problem eating cats and dogs but shreek like little girls at the sight of an octopus.jonzz 12/17/13