Replace lower bearing on router (Ryobi RE600)
My venerable Ryobi RE600 router is more than 25 years old and its time to replace the bearings.

I've separated the base casting from the plastic upper housing, leaving me with the armature in the base casting.

What I can't figure out is how to release the armature from the base casting. Most of the videos I've looked at have some sort of locking nut on the armature spindle on the 'outside' of the casting.

The Ryobi doesn't have that..the spindle passes through the lower casting with about 1/32" of clearance. You couldn't even fit a snap ring into the space.

From the parts diagram, looks the lower bearing may be held in by a clamping bracket under the armature fan - requiring pressing the spindle armature out of the bearing, leaving the bearing in the casting?

With the fan in the way, I don't see anyway to remove the clamping bracket and press the armature spindle and bearing out of the casting as one unit.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/ryobi-...74217.html

Right/wrong?

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
(08-17-2020, 04:54 PM)MKepke Wrote: My venerable Ryobi RE600 router is more than 25 years old and its time to replace the bearings.

I've separated the base casting from the plastic upper housing, leaving me with the armature in the base casting.

What I can't figure out is how to release the armature from the base casting.  Most of the videos I've looked at have some sort of locking nut on the armature spindle on the 'outside' of the casting.

The Ryobi doesn't have that..the spindle passes through the lower casting with about 1/32" of clearance.  You couldn't even fit a snap ring into the space.

From the parts diagram, looks the lower bearing may be held in by a clamping bracket under the armature fan - requiring pressing the spindle armature out of the bearing, leaving the bearing in the casting?

With the fan in the way, I don't see anyway to remove the clamping bracket and press the armature spindle and bearing out of the casting as one unit.

Right/wrong?

-Mark

Will the armature tap out of the bearing being careful of the armature ?  That is how it had to be put together by placing the bearing and retainer in lower casting and putting  the armature through it.   Roly
(08-17-2020, 04:54 PM)MKepke Wrote: My venerable Ryobi RE600 router is more than 25 years old and its time to replace the bearings.

What I can't figure out is how to release the armature from the base casting.  Most of the videos I've looked at have some sort of locking nut on the armature spindle on the 'outside' of the casting.

The Ryobi doesn't have that..the spindle passes through the lower casting with about 1/32" of clearance.  You couldn't even fit a snap ring into the space.

Right/wrong?

-Mark
Did you take the brushes out?
Got it out. As I thought, the armature did have to be pressed out of the lower casting+bearing.

Took a considerable amount of force and a couple smacks of a hammer on the puller screw to get the shaft to move..the pivots (rivets) of my cheap stamped gear puller have a good bend in them now. I'll need to replace the pivots with some grade 5/8 bolts.

One bit of damage..hopefully not fatal. I fractured the magnetic core on the top of the armature used for controlling the speed. I'll try to stabilize the fracture with some thin CA. Hopefully I have not created some extra poles or I'll have to try grinding a replacement magnet.

-Mark
Final report:

Got the bearings replaced and everything back together. Gave the router a test run. All good until the magnetic core flew apart and it became a single-speed router.

Some JB Weld to glue the magnetic core back together and 24 hours later, it seems to be back to being a variable speed router.

-Mark