Turners smock
I'm trying to find a turning smock for my 14 year old grand daughter. But, I can't seem to find any that would be small enough. The smallest that I have seen is a medium.  My guess is an adult small would be a little big, but she could grow into it. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,
Bill
Can Grandma or Mom sew??

Kind of like a kitchen apron with sleeves.  I know I would love the one Glen Lucas sells with sleeves and high neck but do not know if he sells small ones I will check.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Yep he has even xsmall

https://www.glennlucaswoodturning.com/pr...trol-blue/
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Grow-into-it = wearing baggy clothes at the lathe. Bad idea.

This time of year, the shop is likely cold enough that you could use a half-zip thermal turtleneck top as a pull-over smock. The zipped-up turtleneck will keep dust and shavings out of her clothes. Just make sure that the sleeves and body are snug over her clothes. You do not want a sleeve snagging on the turning work piece when she is sanding or when she starts to learn sizing with outside calipers while cutting.

Glenn Lucas is a great guy to work with. If his site does not have measurements for the smocks, I expect that he would be happy to provide them if you email him/the_site.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(08-18-2020, 01:46 PM)iclark Wrote: Grow-into-it = wearing baggy clothes at the lathe. Bad idea.

Got to agree with that.  Uniform supply house should have button-up collar smocks for cosmetology in smallest.  I'd say teach her to shave wood rather than hack it, making the collar superfluous.  Get the lathe down or some firm risers (not a stool) to get her up where centerline is around her waist.  Had sixth-grade females who used risers fine.  Guys, being guys, just wouldn't use them despite their height, and were consequently slow (chipper) learners....
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I used a couple of pallets side-by-side with plywood on top as risers for my sister and niece. That worked well for them and could be easily removed and stored for my use. I did make sure to have a spotter there when one of them was turning in case they forgot and stepped back to look at their work.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.