Deck railings -- treated or White Oak?
I can get KD WO locally -- 4/4 $4.75 and 8/4 $6.65

Considering the quality etc of current treated wooc I'm wondering if WO would be better if I'm looking at a 20-year life-span?

I'll be using powder coated square metal balusters screwed to the rails, looking at about 60' total for the project.

Which will have less maintenance?

Thanks
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
IMO pressure treated will be easier to maintain and last at least 20 years.  WO is rot resistant but loves to turn gray/black with mold unless you keep it clean and treated with some sort of coating.  When it weathers it tends to get rough, too; not something I'd want in a handrail.  

John
I'm developing a deep dislike for just about anything PT these days.  Much of the time, the wood becomes unusable shortly after you bring it home, unless you immediately screw/nail/bolt it down tight.  The treatment used now isn't nearly as effective as the old stuff, IMHO. Yes, I know it's supposed to be less toxic.

UV rays are the worst enemy of any lumber that isn't in direct & constant contact with water and/or the ground.  I don't know if white oak is your best option or not, but if it is going to be exposed to much UV, you are going to have to paint/coat it with something, regardless what you use, or it's going to look terrible in a few, short years.  And that includes PT, AFAIC.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Can man-made materials such as Trex be had in sizes suitable for handrails? I know that Trex sells matching handrail systems for their deck products but those may not be suitable for the OP's project. For the most part, the man-made deck materials can be worked and machined with the usual tools so maybe an option?

And if you are borrowing your neighbor's tools, consider Ipe.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
PT won't have a problem lasting 20 years (neither will WO), so choose following your gut. I suspect there will be about the same maintenance depending on how you want it to look.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
To me this is an easy choice: I've used white oak on a park bench in our side yard to replace some of the slats. It works fine and will last a long time. I don't finish it; I just let it weather as is. In any case I would much rather use a local wood than something treated.
In North Central PA, the pressure treated quality is less than white oak. I have 5/4 PT deck boards, less than a decade old, that needed replaced. On the other hand, I have some side tables, on the deck, made from WO that look just fine, weathered "as is".

Our PT is available from a big box store and a local lumber yard: no difference is quality.

For me, I'd go with white oak.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
White Oak will turn gray and weather just fine.
How long has it lasted as siding on old barns.......
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-20-2020, 08:42 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: White Oak will turn gray and weather just fine.
How long has it lasted as siding on old barns.......

I'm not arguing the longevity of white oak, but vertical orientation lasts a lot longer than horizontal.  Pine and hemlock last a really long time as barn siding.  

John
All the old county bridges that are long gone now due to heavier traffic, used 3" white oak for planking.
Rain, snow, rocks, dirt......abused for 50-75? years
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020