moisture barrier under vinyl plank flooring

I am getting ready to install some in my basement. It will go on a dry concrete floor. Hard to get a straight answer on the web.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
  Re: moisture barrier under vinyl plank flooring by messmaker (I am getting ready t...)
What did the manufacturer's instructions say?

I followed those on deciding to do without under the vinyl plank in my basement.
  Re: moisture barrier under vinyl plank flooring by messmaker (I am getting ready t...)
It isn't necessary. Vinyl plank in itself is a moisture barrier. Moisture won't hurt it. Basement floor moisture is from condensation on the cool surface, not from the ground.. unless the basement was flooded. So if there's condensation/moisture, it will be on top of the vinyl plank where moist air comes in contact with it. This is the main reason vinyl plank is installed in basements, as well as vinyl tile. If the plank installation recommendations call for a pad or a barrier, it's to help it "float" and provide a bit of cushion for comfort, not for moisture protection. Also, if you but down a pad, pay attention to it's thickness and make sure it falls within the mfg's recommendations. Too thick, the seams will break on the planks and warranty won't cover it.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

When it comes to 'lectricity, I'm a pretty good wood turner.

... Grey Mountain 3/2/21

Just make sure the manufacturer doesn't require it for warranty purposes.  We purchased a vinyl plank floor and in order to preserve the warranty, we had to lay a moisture barrier down underneath it, even though it's 100% waterproof (for floating floor).  Moisture barrier wasn't required if we were to glue it down.  From a floating floor perspective, the moisture barrier does help quiet the floor down a bit (we installed a section with and without a moisture barrier and you can definitely tell the difference noise-wise walking on the two.
I have done this in a kitchen on slab.  I required plastic sheeting underneath to allow for ease of movement from what they told me.
The floor has 4.5 years no issues in a rental.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

We just had a floor laid in three rooms of the new home by pros.  It's what they do.  Vinyl plank, lifetime warranty, waterproof.  The used regular tar paper underneath and duct taped the ends and edges.  Floor looks great.  Big Grin

The flooring was quality mid range plank, with a pad glued to the bottom. The pros still put down the tar paper.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.