My Current Project - Question for the Luthiers
A ukulele.  This is a kit from a company called Stewmac.  
Next steps are final sanding and a clear coat.  After that goes the bridge, saddle and strings.

Attached Files Image(s)

That is coming our really nice and LOVE the grain.  Great Job.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
That is a very nice grain pattern.

How many hours into it so far?
(08-20-2020, 10:45 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: That is a very nice grain pattern.

How many hours into it so far?

Thanks.  About 8.  It's a kit, so back and top are pre-cut but oversized and the two halves of the sides are pre-bent.  My daughter and I are trying to take it slow.  Lots of dry fitting and lots of reading the directions.

Looks like a fun project.  Is this for display or will this be a performance piece?
It will absolutely be played. I'm going with a satin poly finish as it will provide protection but the de-glossing from being handled won't be as obvious as it would be with a gloss finish.

(08-20-2020, 02:08 PM)crokett™ Wrote: It will absolutely be played.  I'm going with a satin poly finish as it will provide protection but the de-glossing from being handled won't be as obvious as it would be with a gloss finish.

Am just finishing up my first one just like yours from Stew Mac and made the mistake of not filling the grain on the mahogany.  I've wound up putting a lot of poly on it to fill it and then sand back so it will be smooth so I can buff it out.  Lesson learned the hard way as usual.  Next time I'll use Timbermate wood filler to do it and a lot less poly.  Yours looks great so far!

Jeff
It's time for the patriots to stand up!
The uke is complete. The walnut version seems to be less porous than the mahogany. The poly finish turned out better than I expected. I did have to sand out some dried drips and refinish. In the videos they suggest a foam brush to apply the wipe on poly. I won't make that mistake again. My other mistake was during setup I decided the action was ok, then after gluing the nut in place with a dab of irreversible super glue, I. decided the action was too heavy and that the nut needs to be lowered. So the top of the nut I have to file or sand down, then reshape and the grooves recut. the question for luthiers, is any suggestions for a jig to keep the nut co-planar to the fretboard, or just be careful? I'm thinking about a small piece of wood taped to the fretboard at the height I want the nut.