2 part electrical question-- dimmer used outside?
(08-21-2020, 04:47 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: 2 things come to mind. Weather protection and GFCI. Any outdoor switch or receptacle needs to be in a weather tight enclosure and be on a GFCI circuit.

If it were me I would figure out a way to protect this circuit via GFCI.  I would then wire the dimmer to the GFCI protection.  I would then run up the house to a box and eliminate the outlet.  Just run the cord for the lights into the bottom of the box and wire nut them to the feed from the dimmer.

Like Tom said, use a GFCI power source, even if you have to add a GFIC receptacle. Now you can put a dimmer switch in a weather tight box with a lift up cover. If you want to avoid the question of dimming a receptacle, just hard wire it in a weather tight box. It would probably look neater than the cord cap and receptacle anyway.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(08-21-2020, 11:05 AM)crokett™ Wrote: If it were me I would figure out a way to protect this circuit via GFCI.  I would then wire the dimmer to the GFCI protection.  I would then run up the house to a box and eliminate the outlet.  Just run the cord for the lights into the bottom of the box and wire nut them to the feed from the dimmer.

I'd just put in a GFCI breaker at the distribution panel. They're more reliable and easier imho. GFCI receptacles take up a lot of room in a work-box.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(08-22-2020, 06:36 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I'd just put in a GFCI breaker at the distribution panel. They're more reliable and easier imho. GFCI receptacles take up a lot of room in a work-box.

I just said protect it via GFCI.  could be a breaker, could be an outlet.  That's up to him.   He doesn't say where the power is going to come from.

(08-22-2020, 05:30 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I just said protect it via GFCI.  could be a breaker, could be an outlet.  That's up to him.   He doesn't say where the power is going to come from.

Yes, gfci protection needs to be assumed.  It is code required.  Which code approved dimmer should he use with it?  I could not find one.
(08-22-2020, 06:45 PM)srv52761 Wrote: Yes, gfci protection needs to be assumed.  It is code required.  Which code approved dimmer should he use with it?  I could not find one.

I wouldn't put a dimmer switch outside.  There are weatherproof switch covers, but those are designed for normal light switches. I couldn't find one for a dimmer switch.  An in-use receptacle cover might work to cover a dimmer switch outside.  I have no idea if it would be code compliant.

(08-22-2020, 06:45 PM)srv52761 Wrote: Which code approved dimmer should he use with it?  I could not find one.

I couldn’t either.  That’s why I stopped - had nowhere good to go.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
for the time being, i just bought an outdoor rated switch (non dimming) and i will install that.

Once all the lights are installed, i will see if they seem too bright at all-- if so, i will try the dimming option.  Don't really think i want to chop the plug end off these light sets, as they weren't cheap, and they do come with a 3 yr warranty.

Thanks for all the replies

Colin
(08-24-2020, 07:29 AM)Cdshakes Wrote: for the time being, i just bought an outdoor rated switch (non dimming) and i will install that.

Once all the lights are installed, i will see if they seem too bright at all-- if so, i will try the dimming option.  Don't really think i want to chop the plug end off these light sets, as they weren't cheap, and they do come with a 3 yr warranty.

Thanks for all the replies

Colin

How about something like THIS  .   This way it is all legal,  you could do without the switch you bought.   Roly