Beer Tap Case
I'm building a display case for a friend, it will accomodate 12 taps (3 on the bottom and 3@ on 2 shelves). The ID is 20 1/4  X  45 7/8. I'm not certain if I should make 1 door or 2. The top shelve is 15" from the top. The second shelve is 14 1/2" down from the first and there's 15 1/2" from the bottom.

The door will have 1/8" glass with the rails & stiles 1" X 3/4 and will house 1/8" glass.

1 door 20 1/4 X 45 7/8? 

Thanks for your ideas.

Jim
Jim
(08-20-2020, 04:40 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: I'm building a display case for a friend, it will accomodate 12 taps (3 on the bottom and 3@ on 2 shelves). The ID is 20 1/4  X  45 7/8. I'm not certain if I should make 1 door or 2. The top shelve is 15" from the top. The second shelve is 14 1/2" down from the first and there's 15 1/2" from the bottom.

The door will have 1/8" glass with the rails & stiles 1" X 3/4 and will house 1/8" glass.

1 door 20 1/4 X 45 7/8? 

Thanks for your ideas.

Jim

Proportions seem like 2 would look better.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Geez. Taps but no keg???

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(08-20-2020, 07:06 PM)Rob Young Wrote: Proportions seem like 2 would look better.

Yes but, since the shelves are fixed and that means one would approx. 15 1/4" High and the other 30 1/4" high. 
I'm mainly concerned about the strength of the 1 door approach.

Jim
Jim
Does this sort of reflect what you are planning? I guessed at the depth since you didn't give that.
[Image: 50251771121_8b06e9289e.jpg]

Seems to me that although two doors might be a little more manageable, it would be a shame to have door stiles running down the center. Especially considering that there's likely to be tap handles centered on the shelves. To me it also looks like the rails and stiles are a bit too narrow.

I don't know if you are open to alternative designs so I won't push my ideas.
Could they live with a door that slides instead of swings? Or doors.

How about a tambor door (kinda hard to do with glass though so maybe that's out). And a tambor door needs lots of case depth.

And one more thought for a single door, divided lights. Might give it a bit more strength against wracking but you'd have to fiddle with the dividing rail widths and placement to keep things nice and even based on the shelf locations. If viewed slightly from below you can cheat their positions down a smidge I think and nobody would be able to tell at a glance that the top-most pane vs the middle and lower are slightly different heights.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(08-21-2020, 10:08 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: Does this sort of reflect what you are planning? I guessed at the depth since you didn't give that.
[Image: 50251771121_8b06e9289e.jpg]

Seems to me that although two doors might be a little more manageable, it would be a shame to have door stiles running down the center. Especially considering that there's likely to be tap handles centered on the shelves. To me it also looks like the rails and stiles are a bit too narrow.

I don't know if you are open to alternative designs so I won't push my ideas.

This exactly what I'm looking for, I'm considering having the rails at 2".  I don't have technology in my head as to how to do drawings, etc.

Thanks 
Jim
Jim
Rob made a good suggestion of dividing the door into 3 lights. I centered them on the shelves and made the door frame 2 in. wide instead of one.

[Image: 50252228338_489927d516.jpg]

Quote:I don't have technology in my head as to how to do drawings, etc.

I know a guy who could help you get it in your head.
(08-21-2020, 04:31 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: Rob made a good suggestion of dividing the door into 3 lights. I centered them on the shelves and made the door frame 2 in. wide instead of one.

[Image: 50252228338_489927d516.jpg]

I know a guy who could help you get it in your head.

Dave

I'm always open for suggestions on a better way to do things (I'm no longer a teenager and know everything! :
Big Grin ) I do like having the 2 rails at the shelves.  Who could help me with a couple of years ago I did download the program (can't remember the name of it) but couldn't grasp the use of it.

Jim
Jim
(08-22-2020, 08:37 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: Dave

I'm always open for suggestions on a better way to do things (I'm no longer a teenager and know everything! :
Big Grin ) I do like having the 2 rails at the shelves.  Who could help me with a couple of years ago I did download the program (can't remember the name of it) but couldn't grasp the use of it.

Jim

I think the divided light door would give you a bit more strength and if you build it so the glass can be inserted after the door is made, a single panel could be replaced if needed.

Does the guy really only have 9 taps he wants to display?

I could help you get the hang of the software. This would be a good project for that, too. I'll send you a PM in a little while.