chimney flue thru foundation
Headed to my son's (1st.) new home in PA in the morning. He wants to supplement elect. baseboard with a woodstove in the basement. The flue will pass thru the foundation to a class A S.S. chimney on the gable end. I believe he has sufficient ground clearance. Question is; What's the best way to pass thru the poured concrete wall? I have a core drill with stand and 4"-10" core bits loaded but the "thru the wall kit" has a 14" telescoping thimble. I'm not coring that big! Is there an easy way to just use a 6" thimble and connect to the tee resting on the support outside, or should I core for triple wall S.S. pipe and pick up an extra two footer? I can use flowable structural grout to seal around either, or even just use high temp silicone caulk for the class A.

P.s. He has decided that 95% eff. F.H.A. by propane will be his primary heat source. I have one the right size but I'm going to check his well output for a geothermal heat pump.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Can't he just run it through the band joist?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(08-22-2020, 06:39 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Can't he just run it through the band joist?

The chimney can't have a 90* and 18" clearance for the flue pipe.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Make sure he checks his homeowners insurance. Some companied will not cover you with a wood stove. It would be awful to find that out the hard way. Just a possible heads up.
(08-22-2020, 07:11 AM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: The chimney can't have a 90* and 18" clearance for the flue pipe.
??
Class A, double walled insulated flue pipe like Simpson and DuraVent Plus require only 2" clearance from combustibles.

I have also heard "no 90's" but have never seen it in writing. I do know that you can use no more than 2 90s. I believe Simpson and DuraVent both make 90* class A elbows. Ideally, we want the woodstove flue as short as possible. Tall flue won't draft on startup.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay